Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 PM

Default sounds change recording from triton to protools

I have 16 tracks recorded in my triton. I am in seq on the keyboard and recording one track at a time into a protools midi track. I mute all tracks but the one I want recorded on the keyboard. The first track records fine as a symbol. The next track I record is a bass and it turnes the previouse track that was recorded into a bass track. basically the sounds in my triton are somehow changing to an undesired sound in protools. I am new to protools and the triton and would really appreciate any help. Thanks guys.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:25 AM

Default Re: sounds change recording from triton to protools

Did you create 16 different ProTools MIDI tracks, or only one? I think you must create a MIDI track for each different voice on your keyboard...each track can only handle one channel from your keyboard, so if you're trying to create a drum rhythm that's comprised of 16 channels on your keyboard, you could make 16 different MIDI tracks, record each of them, and then later route all those MIDI tracks into an audio track and record it there so that your drum track uses up only one track in your session. Once you've done that your drum track will be an audio file that lives on your computer so that if you add any other tracks, you won't experience MIDI latency which happens a lot. I'm no expert, so I leave the floor open for correction but I think this should work...
Old 08-25-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: sounds change recording from triton to protool

I do have 16 midi tracks in protools. If i record one track it will change the instrument sound in a prviously recorded track. still stumped here.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:59 AM

Default Re: sounds change recording from triton to protools

Just because you record a midi track into PTLE doesn't mean the sound is assigned also. You still need to assign the sound for each track in PTLE (or PT).

It's very time consuming to record each midi track from the Triton into PTLE. The easiest way to accomplish this task is to make a midi file on a floppy using the Triton, and copy the midi file into PTLE (assuming your computer has a floppy drive). Everything will be set up properly (including sounds) and it takes a few minutes instead of an hour.

BTW: PTLE only changes the sound of a track after recording if two tracks are assigned to the same channel. I find that if I turn the midi default channel to "none" under preferences (001 & 002), it eliminates alot of the double track one sound problems.

Hope this helps.