Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Error -9093

I can work for hours and then out of nowhere error AAE -9093. This could be on a session with hundreds of tracks or simply playing one audio track with a click.

I read a lonnnnng thread about this issue awhile back so i guess it has never been fixed???

Mac Pro (cyninder) 3.5 Ghz, 6 Cores, 16 GB ram, Dual AMD D700, OS X 10.9.2
Pro Tools HDN 11.1.2, Avid IO 16 x16

There's nothing else but PT on this machine and running only Avid's plugs.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Error -9093

176 views and no one ??
Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 PM

from http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ategory=Audio;
Quote:
MC Control Support
Note: There is a known issue when using the MC Control for scrub or shuttle. Errors -9171 or -9093 may be encountered
only -9093 reference I could find

you say hours, is that continually on or accumulative hours?
accumulative, no idea
continually, thermal problem or long run code bug

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM

Found the problem…rock solid performance now.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM

What was the problem?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM

It was the apple wireless trackpad. When scrolling (in mix or edit window) using the trackpad i noticed PT's meters freeze for a split second, this does not happen if i use the scroll bar at the bottom or on the side of the window.

I'm now using my Kensington trackball and all is good. Been editing and mixing a pretty big film session (Full 1080/24p Prores HQ video, over 220 audio tracks, lots of plug-ins, over 12 tracks of VI and at the same time recording VO) for the past 5 hrs and it performed flawlessly with CPU hovering at 18%. The new MP is a beast, really really powerful.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I can work for hours and then out of nowhere error AAE -9093. This could be on a session with hundreds of tracks or simply playing one audio track with a click.

I read a lonnnnng thread about this issue awhile back so i guess it has never been fixed???

Mac Pro (cyninder) 3.5 Ghz, 6 Cores, 16 GB ram, Dual AMD D700, OS X 10.9.2
Pro Tools HDN 11.1.2, Avid IO 16 x16

There's nothing else but PT on this machine and running only Avid's plugs.
I am currently doing some testing with Pro Tools HD 11, and the -9093 error shows up every time I open up Pro Tools 11 for this time and try to play back the demo session i.e. Kelly Malone "Earth and Stars" from the beginning of the timeline. Perhaps it is due to all the Avid VI's in the session. i.e. Mini Grand, Boom, Vacuum, Structure and Xpand 2.

The system I am currently testing on is an early 2013 quad core, Retina MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, 512 GB system SSD, in conjunction with the HD Native Thunderbolt Box and the HD Omni. I am using Pro Tools version 11.1.3 and Mac OSX 10.8.5. I tried using Pro Tools 11.2, but it was considerably worse with CPU spiking at almost every buffer level. I installed Pro Tools on a fresh OSX build, and have tried repairing permissions and trashing preferences ect.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Error -9093

Have you fully optimized the Mac? Every last thing done?

Other folks have seen problems with some of the AIR plugins, so check you really have the latest versions installed, and you should also try removing all the AIR plugins files from the plugin folder and if that makes things stable put them back and find the one (or more) causing problems. This is a quite likely cause so be sure to do this testing.

Are your sessions on the system drive? As well as all samples? How full is that drive? You can get away with a lot with the fast internal SSD drive on a MBP but that is still not the recommended way to do things and especially while troubleshooting get a nice fast external USB3 or Thunderbolt drive to use for an audio/session drive.

Do all the other standard troubleshooting, trash prefs and databases, exclude a corrupted session (test starting with empty new sessions not a copy, not from a template). Etc. And I would also try comparing using the MBPs built-in audio as the playback engine, disabling delay compensation in the playback engine, and doing all tests with "ignore errors" unchecked... You want to see errors while debugging.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Have you fully optimized the Mac? Every last thing done?

Other folks have seen problems with some of the AIR plugins, so check you really have the latest versions installed, and you should also try removing all the AIR plugins files from the plugin folder and if that makes things stable put them back and find the one (or more) causing problems. This is a quite likely cause so be sure to do this testing.

Are your sessions on the system drive? As well as all samples? How full is that drive? You can get away with a lot with the fast internal SSD drive on a MBP but that is still not the recommended way to do things and especially while troubleshooting get a nice fast external USB3 or Thunderbolt drive to use for an audio/session drive.

Do all the other standard troubleshooting, trash prefs and databases, exclude a corrupted session (test starting with empty new sessions not a copy, not from a template). Etc. And I would also try comparing using the MBPs built-in audio as the playback engine, disabling delay compensation in the playback engine, and doing all tests with "ignore errors" unchecked... You want to see errors while debugging.
Thanks for the suggestions Darryl. Much appreciated. To answer your questions, the audio session is being run off a brand new 256 GB, Lacie SSD Drive using the USB 3.0 connection on the MacBook Pro. The Lacie only has one Pro Tools session on it (the Pro Tools 11 demo session), so it's got loads of free space. The only VI's installed are the AIR instruments that come with Pro Tools and they are the latest versions. These instruments (Boom, Mini Grand, Vacuum ect.) are currently installed on the SSD system drive of my Retina MacBook Pro, but normally I always run an external sample drive for my sample libraries. In my case, that is usually a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB drive, which is a drive that you recommend highly on this forum. My Mac has been optimized at every level.

I have tried running the session using the MacBook Pro's built in audio for the playback engine, and the results are the same.

Earlier today, I installed Pro Tools 11.2 again, and once again experienced CPU overloads even when no audio was playing in the session. From my experience, 11.1.3 is much more stable, so that's probably the version I'll reinstall to work with Pro Tools 11.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:58 PM

All good stuff! I would temporarily move aside the AIR plugin files and see if that fixes it. Yes even if they used to be Avid plugins and are still bundled with Pro Tools. AIR is now a separate company, but more importantly I am pretty sure that other folks have also described what you are seeing and traced it down to their AIR plugins. I think in some cases things magically fixed themselves when they cleaned everything off and reinstalled using all the latest Pro Tools and AIR installers.

If you want to test 11.2. I would be careful to remove older versions of Pro Tools and all remnants including the Avid aax plugin folder and all AIR and any other plugin files. Then test out 11.2 before installing AIR or anything else.