Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-11-1998, 12:26 AM

Default Capture & Batch Digitize - USD + 9-pin

I'm certain that I have all the necessary parts connected, because Pro Tools works fine. Machine control and sync via the USD is like a dream. But Audio Vision....

USD in modem port.
9-pin in printer port.
all running of BB generator, and on video ref.

Machine control works: we can control the DA-60 no problems. Turning off the USD control, I can sometimes get the capture tool to work for me. I have a brand new tape, stripe it with time code, get the capture tool to record from 00:01:10:00 to 00:01:30:00, and 2 times out of 7 it will work. (Not always those numbers!)

As soon as I turn on USD control, it won't work. Capture tool says 'Bad Timecode on Tape'. All is set to PAL 25 fps.

Batch digitise puts the machine into play straight away. I thought it would have been ff/rwd to cue it to the first clip to digitise. Then it says no incoming sync, please check the cable. Which one? Where's the problem? Without changing any cables or settings, Pro Tools works perfectly every time.

I also can't find any settings for the USD anywhere in AudioVision, unless I turn off 9-pin. Then I get two settings in the External Deck Control Window. Where's the rest?

Can AudioVision sync over the 9-pin. I guess so, because when you put AudioVision in Master, and hit play, the machine cues up, and away they go. Admittedly, very poorly, and the sync up time is quite long. No where near as good as Pro Tools, but it uses the USD.

I need to get these rocks out of my head!!! Anybody have any ideas???

Thanks
Matt Connolly
Old 07-12-1998, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Capture & Batch Digitize - USD + 9-pin

Hi. Just tried it with a DA-98, and I noticed about once a minute or so, it spat the dummy about the video signal. I checked all the cables - fine, and rearragned them, and then hey presto! Works fine. Gotto get that DA-60 back to try it with it.

Anybody know anything funny about timecode and video-ref at Tascam DA-60MkII????

Matt