Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2002, 03:06 PM

Default OT: Desktop pc advice... EMachines...

Looks like I'm sacrificing the Strat to get my daughter a desktop pc. The best buy I've found is by EMachines. It's basically $400 after rebates, and comes with this:

Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz
128RAM
40gb HD
CD ROM
"17 Monitor
Color Printer

Has anyone heard anything bad about EMachines? If not, I'm about to go for it.

Thanks for any input... Roy
Old 12-18-2002, 03:15 PM

Default Re: OT: Desktop pc advice... EMachines...

Hello,
I have used a Emachines Celeron 750mhz to
run reservation software at a motel I own and
have had no problems. My friend has one he
uses at home for internet etc. and it has been
solid. For the price and the purpose they
are a great deal.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:56 PM

Thanks Tim!
Let me ask you one thing about them... I don't see anything about the OS that comes with it. Would you know if they come with XP or not?

Thanks, Roy
Old 12-18-2002, 04:11 PM

My friend bought one of those E-machines awhile back, and he got it real cheap after the rebate. He liked it. If it's for your daughter, it will probably suffice.

But one thing to note about these turnkey computers, by that I mean Dell, HP, and Gateway type. They often do not give you a true stand alone operating system disk. They usually give you this "recovery disk" which is a culmination of drivers and Windows. This can be a problem. For example, your computer gets funky and you wanna reinstall your operating system. The recovery disk is supposed to make this easy, but I know too many people that get migraines from this.

One of my sisters sent back 3 Gateways because of stupid conflicts and stuff that kept making her use her recovery disk, which brings her computer back to a previous state....and of course after the "recovery" half of her programs did not work. My other sister had the same problem with a Dell. My mother is currently fighting with her Hewlett Packard computer.
I don't care what they say, Windows code, because new applications alter the original code.....the operating system will eventually get funky. Those recovery disks aren't always great.

Another thing they don't tell you: what name brand video card/sound card/modem are in the computer? Usually no-name. Need a new driver? That can be a tough one. So if you get a new program, and it conflicts with your soundcard, you need to update the driver, but how if you have a no-name? That's another hassle.

Another thing: on-site technical support doesn't always mean they come to your house. It often means that you can call them, while YOU are on-site. Gateway gets you this way.

So, I think these cheap computers are okay for someone that won't be upgrading too much or altering programs. But if you just a little curious and like to play around with settings, buy a hand-built computer from a reputable computer shop. When they build it, get the name brand and model # off every component of the computer to be built. Make sure all parts are names you've heard of. It's the only way.

Take care
Old 12-18-2002, 05:16 PM

Yo,
Mine came with ME as it is over a year old.
It should say on the box what operating system
comes with. Usually they also come with a bundle
of other basic applications.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:24 PM

Compaq Pentium 4 2.0ghz system w/ 256mb pc133 ram and 20gb hard drive - $499.. Cheap Pentium 4

Does not include monitor..

Also check out Dell.com .. they are a good place to buy. Here is a cupon code, I don't think it has expired, for $100 off at dell.com: 81E29ACCF4A1
Old 12-18-2002, 07:26 PM

I got it... thanks to Tim, Smelt, and mjames for the advice. I checked it out, and feel like it's a decent deal all in all. My daughter's gonna freak when she see's it on Christmas... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks, Roy
Old 12-18-2002, 07:52 PM

Four-hour window in which to reply- Roy ....! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 08:07 PM

Well hello there Sir Stone,
You mean you've just got a short stint among us mortals? Are they keeping you through the holidays, or what? I hope it's going well, and will be looking forward to the novel when it's all over...
Thanks for the heads up on the movie, but I'll have to wait for it to hit Memphis. Keep in touch, and let me know when you'll be back with us. ~Roy