Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Wow.....what a thread!!! I read the whole danged thing!!!

First of all......GREAT news that we're actually talking to AVID people and [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty that it took this long. Tony and Jeffro, thanks for taking the time.

Secondly, a stand-alone editor is awesome and we look forward to using it to edit our 11Rs.

Thirdly, is this confirmation that anything before Mavericks will not work? I'm still confused. Jeffro, I'm on 10.7.5 same as you in your sig. Isn't Mavericks causing many issues with other DAWs?

Finally, good luck at NAMM. I won't be swinging by to see you but I wish you the best.

My IdeaScale priority was a Digitech Whammy simulation so if you announce upgrades with that in it based on IdeaScale input I will take back everything I said about AVID not listening. IR loader is very cool too.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormstudios View Post
Thirdly, is this confirmation that anything before Mavericks will not work? I'm still confused. Jeffro, I'm on 10.7.5 same as you in your sig. Isn't Mavericks causing many issues with other DAWs?
Already explained in the thread that OS X 10.8 and 10.9 are supported. It is not clear if 10.7.x is just not offically supported or will not work. But worse case you can spend $20 and upgrade to 10.8.5. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6...-mountain-lion

Some Maverics problems may be being caused by sloppy upgrades, always do full clean OS X upgrades, follow Avid's advice and don't do in-situ upgrade.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
...thanks for taking the time.
You're welcome.

Quote:
...is this confirmation that anything before Mavericks will not work?
We'll post specific compatibility info soon, but at this point I can clarify it will run on Mountain Lion and Mavericks but not on Lion.

Requires a 64-bit operating system—Windows 8, Windows 7, or OS X 10.8 or later
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I can clarify it will run on Mountain Lion and Mavericks but not on Lion.

Nice
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Not everyone can upgrade to mountain lion, though.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 PM

I'm no programmer. I belong to a few vintage computer online forums/"clubs." There are talented people developing new extensions to OSes and old hardware, and developing new hardware, for 30-year-old computers and software!

I was surprised to hear the new stand alone is simply a GUI that sends and receives MIDI signals. All this time, no one in our universe can write / could have written a program that passes the needed MIDI? I've seen Linux programs that control DigiTech pedals. I am so grateful the SAE is here! Who knows? Maybe someone can develop a 32-bit version.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelco83 View Post
Not everyone can upgrade to mountain lion, though.
True, but I believe most Eleven Rack owners have a pre-11 version of Pro Tools so still have access to the Editor within PT. I'm in that same boat with my own system (replacing my 1st gen Mac Pro isn't in the budget right now) so I'm running PT 10.3.8 on OS X 10.7.5.

What OS are you running on your Mac Mini?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM

Default Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Mountain lion, I'm in the clear just thinking of others.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Really? I don't see lack of 32 bit support as that serious a deficiency, and I would be very surprised if it excluded anything like "half the market", but maybe I'm missing something. And those poor Avid folks, they actually try to give people what they want and they get slammed for it. (that and the jerkoffs here with long lists of other new features they want. ). ........
OK enough kissing up to Avid, now hows my list of future feature requests looking?

Oh, and please add wider front panel screen and a few more menu knobs to the next gen hardware request list please...
There's no deficiency for those who like using Pro tools, since the Eleven Rack is intended to Sell Pro Tool software and that's where the focus is : Sell more pro tools software. That's fine with me because I know that the Eleven Rack is a great stand alone guitar processor also , but everywhere I go, I hear guitar players not purchasing the Eleven Rack because they feel they're being baited into Pro tools and future upgrades etc etc. Clearly I'm not talking about those who already own the Eleven Rack, as most if not all have Pro tools software as the editor. I'm talking about those who are turned off and not buying the Eleven Rack due to its ties to the almighty Pro Tools just to Edit a Guitar processor.

Many guitar players can't relate to the complexity of not having a simple editor due the requirement that it must interface with pro tools! Almost every digital guitar processor out there comes with a stand alone editor!! It's not difficult at all to all to a hardware company to provide a stand alone editor and it shouldn't be that complex. If Avid really cared about that segment of the Market (who just want a good Modeler and the Eleven Rack is), it would take them a few days to split the editor in the previous 32 bit editor in the prior versions of pro tools and provide support for both systems, but again, the focus is to sell Pro Tools . With an approach like this, IMHO, they will never be a viable guitar company.

The biggest irony though is the Eleven Rack is probably one of the easiest devices to edit from it's own front panel and all of those who complain about not having an editor, could very well edit faster without a software editor, but why should they not have the choice to play guitar and use a software editor, other than Pro Tools, at the same time ! Well I hope that this new editor won't be viewed as too late and hopefully it will revive sales; maybe Avid would further develop the product, who knows! I personally love the Eleven Rack. I think it's one of the best well designed and thought out products out there. I use it with Cubase, the only thing I don't have and don't need is the embedding but other than that, it works flawlessly. Hardly any potential customer knows that you can use the Eleven Rack with software other than pro tools. Hopefully this new 64 bit only editor will be somehow change that perception.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Sorry, I'm here to help with current issues and try to clarify how we got here when possible. Product Managers would need to comment on the future (if and when they can).

I'm the opposite... just upgraded from an old 32-bit PC to a 64-bit PC at work, but (as you can see from my sig) I'm still running a 32-bit Mac Pro at home (and most of my audio adventures happen on the latter).
Just to clarify jeffro,there is nothing against you,and im glad that you at least to ok the time to talk with us,its just the situation and the long years of no support,along with avid lack of comunication that make me and others always think to the dark side of the story...11r is like a ferrari with an isuzu engine and that is sad