Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 04-28-2020, 11:23 PM

Default VCA Spills with two or more Artist Mixes

I'm wondering if the following workflow is possible:

Assuming I have two or more Artist mixes, let's say I create a Layout using EuCon where one of the Artist Mixes has just the VCA tracks for my session, and the other just has the tracks set to "auto assigned", as normal.

Is it possible to have the members of the VCA spill across the Artist mix that is set to auto assign if I just touch the respective VCA master on the Artist Mix that has the VCAs only?

I've been trying to make this happen, but it doesn't look possible. The closest is double clicking on the "assign" button on the respective VCA fader, and that will spill the members of the VCA, that reorganizes the layout of both Artist Mixes in doing so.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:55 AM

Default Re: VCA Spills with two or more Artist Mixes

You have to double press the sel Button of your VCA Fader. This will spill the VCA members over your desk. Double press again to unspill. This was added in an Eucon update sometime last year. Make sure “VCA spill overwrites layout” is deactivated in the EuControl prefs.

Cheers Stefan
Old 04-29-2020, 08:29 AM

Thanks Stefan! I'm aware of this feature, but that changes the layout of the two Artist Mix consoles. I'm wondering if there is any way to make that happen without double tapping the fader assign button.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:48 PM

The only way to get a "one touch" VCA spill is with the Avid Control app. Worth adding one to your artist mixes IMO.

As for keeping your VCA's present, uncheck the preference for "VCA spill overrides layout". That should keep the spill to only the faders that auto assign.

I can think of many reasons why double tapping the assign button is better for VCA spill than touching a fader. Touching a fader sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.