Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-28-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Auto-assign my Output to a missing output from another producer's project?

Hey there,
So my work made me receive Pro Tools session from a lot of other music producers, editors. Everyone has different audio device, so the name of their output is different. Every time I have to open IO to remap that output to my audio device's output as the output is missing due to different name.
Is there a way PT can automatically assign my only Output as the default output to such missing output? I think I have seen this "automatically assign output"before but not sure how to reproduce it.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Auto-assign my Output to a missing output from another producer's project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Hey there,
So my work made me receive Pro Tools session from a lot of other music producers, editors. Everyone has different audio device, so the name of their output is different. Every time I have to open IO to remap that output to my audio device's output as the output is missing due to different name.
Is there a way PT can automatically assign my only Output as the default output to such missing output? I think I have seen this "automatically assign output"before but not sure how to reproduce it.
Anyone have a clue?
Old 05-29-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Auto-assign my Output to a missing output from another producer's project?

Resetting IO is something we have all(mostly) learned to deal with. Every time I open a session from another studio, the first thing I do is open the IO setup and make appropriate changes, as well as delete any bogus routing on the BUS tab. You could also create a new IO setup with names that correspond to the imported sessions(save your current settings as your default for when working on your own sessions). If its always(or usually, anyway) from the same outside source, you could name the main outputs on both systems to the same name, and that should make the main outs come up working. When I had my 2-room facility in Nashville, the midi room used an Mbox 2 Pro, while the main room ran a 64 IO HD/Native rig. By naming the normal output on both systems to "Main Out", sessions would move back and forth with no fussing required

I agree it would be nice if it would magically "fix" itself, but given the unlimited possibilities in routing and naming, I'm not sure that's possible.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-29-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Resetting IO is something we have all(mostly) learned to deal with ... I agree it would be nice if it would magically "fix" itself ...
+1. This is always a pain-in-the-ass. I see no quick work-around (hope I'm wrong). Also, the plugs are always different. When importing sessions (or OMFs/AAFs) I'm just happy if it works at all

I suppose fixing the Pro Tools IO settings is still easier than in the old days ... thread-up the 2" reel and re-build the previous studio's entire mix from the ground up. Yuk.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-29-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
+1. This is always a pain-in-the-ass. I see no quick work-around (hope I'm wrong). Also, the plugs are always different. When importing sessions (or OMFs/AAFs) I'm just happy if it works at all

I suppose fixing the Pro Tools IO settings is still easier than in the old days ... thread-up the 2" reel and re-build the previous studio's entire mix from the ground up. Yuk.
For SURE!!!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave