Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-26-2002, 10:16 AM

Default HD Users, How\'s your Hard Drive/Track Count Doing?

Okay, I've read the digi specs on how many drives they recommend to achieve certain numbers of tracks, but I know that these specs are at times unrealistic.

So at 88.2 and 96 SR's ho how many drives are you using, and how many tracks can you get in a real world senario where there are not 100 edits/fades every other measure of music.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: HD Users, How\'s your Hard Drive/Track Count Doing?

I just upgraded on Monday to an HD4 system. I'm testing/debugging it right now. I'll post my results.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 06-26-2002, 05:04 PM

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:56 PM

Thought I'd ad my two cents. I'm running an HD3 system. I'm running all my stuff at 96k and using only one drive. Cheetah 10k 36gig. I've gotten up to 61 tracks and it hasn't been phased yet. Of course not all 61 tracks are going at the same time, but then again, when would they. At any given time, there are approx. 48 tracks going. Hope that bit helps. I love the new system...Sounds Awesome!!!

Cheers.
Old 06-27-2002, 05:57 AM

Track count hasn't been a problem at 96k, but plug-in count has been a problem. DSP gets eaten up quickly. I'm running HD2. I'll definitely need more DSP if I'm going to do much at 96k.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the info. Even when I do intense edits, I usually consolidate, or if I want to leave the original intact, I duplicate the track deactivate one and consolidate the other. I'm never THAT demanding on the drive. That's why I wanted to get an idea of real world drive performance.

I might want to record at 88.2 or 96 when we get HD, but we run off of 1 36 gig Glyph too, and track count/storage was a concern.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slangification:
Track count hasn't been a problem at 96k, but plug-in count has been a problem. DSP gets eaten up quickly. I'm running HD2. I'll definitely need more DSP if I'm going to do much at 96k.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm real curious as I wait for my HD3 system to arrive as to what amount of DSP I can expect on 88/96K sessions. Do you feel in your case that one more HD Process card would be enough to make things comfortable?

Thanks.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 06-27-2002, 06:27 PM

I played with an HD3 a while ago trying to make it jump or give me evil errors. I recorded 64 tracks of 96K (the limit as I recall) onto 1 15k U160 Cheetah. It didn't even blink - the disk access light was not very active, the playback was without failure - and I was very happy.

All other testing I've heard of so far has been exceptional. It really seems as though the new style of DAE is optomised for the high rate SCSI and the faster system bus that would clog a Mix system in no time.

Great work Digi!

David Bullard
Masque Sound and Recording
Old 06-27-2002, 06:59 PM

Even with a blue G4 I'd be alright?
Old 06-27-2002, 08:34 PM

Hey Hardnox! I know ya got some $$ buried up in the Concord hills (near the Pavilion). Dig it up, or just sell THA BEATER. Still got a couple of days left. Your welcome to stop by CROW CANYON STUDIO to see PTHD in action!!

Til then, just "LET IT BANG!"

haze

www.johnhaze.com