Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2003, 07:30 AM

Default Adobe Premier?

I am a Pro Tools LE user looking to get into a little video editing... e.g. merge songs I've recorded with video footage from shows to create music videos etc.

Should I go with Adobe Premier (I hear the name alot as the industry standard) or is there a Digidesign product that integrates better with Pro Tools LE?

I've seen Windows Media Maker also but I hear it's very low-end.

Thanks for any advice.
Ron
Old 01-05-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Adobe Premier?

Hi Ron,
I'm about to get into video myself, and I've been told that Avid Express is preferred over Premier for use with PT.(Bastiaan's advice, and he does it for a living) So, that's what I plan to use. Keep me posted how it goes with you. ~Roy
Old 01-05-2003, 09:04 AM

The interface and everything else with dvexpress is more streamlined. It looks less cluttered on your desktop. The pricedifference is big though...

premiere is around $650 or so
dvexpress is around $1700

It is very possible to excange audio and video between premiere and protools. If you want more info on how to do this...just let me know. I think tehre are other applications for video too...have a close look at them, and try to figure out what you really want (stuff like only put clips behind each other, or use effects, transitions, titles, colorcorrection etc...)

Premiere works together with photoshop and aftereffects quite well....(same company)

Bastiaan
Old 01-05-2003, 09:08 AM

Thanks! Good things to think about. Price might steer someone to Premiere, but if Avid DV Express (or whatever its exactly called) is integrated really well with Pro Tools, then I'm thinking that would be better, no?

I'm only doing pretty low-end stuff right now, but, of course plan to be pro with it down the road [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I would just like to choose the product now that will be the one I keep moving forward.

That said, any updates to your opinions/comments?

Thanks!
Ron
Old 01-05-2003, 09:14 AM

the strange part is that dv xpress isnt integrated with ptle at all. You can export as OMF-file, and import that one into protools, but that will cost you another $500 or so (digidesign digitranslator) (on the mac-side they have a free utility that will do simple conversions....its called OMF-tool)

If you are going the mac-way, its a good idea to take a very close look at final cut pro...it is a very good program indeed...and can also export as OMF-file.

Since you yourself will do all the audio and video-stuff it is quite possible to do it yourself...it is a bit of a drag though...but it does work. I have done some audiosweetening for a freind like this, and it all worked like its suppose to work, and everything stayed in perfect sync...

Bastiaan
Old 01-05-2003, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bastiaan:
It is very possible to excange audio and video between premiere and protools. If you want more info on how to do this...just let me know.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">sounds like a good addition to the PT Tips Page...
Old 01-05-2003, 10:28 AM

So whaddya think.. should the Win/PTLE user just go with Adobe Premiere? Is that what I'm hearing?
Old 01-05-2003, 10:39 AM

I have just been getting into this same type of thing and I found it easier to get everything mixed in protools and then export the wave file or MP-3 and import it into my video program, I think you can keep the video at a higher quality doing it this way? It is not that hard to sync them up. I have been using Pinnacle Studio 8 ($100.00) and it will let you import and sync the audio and burn it to a DVD or Video tape or several other options? I also just got the new Sony DVD burner ($350.00) and it works great, I have DVDs I created complete with DVD Menus, it's pretty cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 11:51 AM

If you have the money to get your hands on DV xpress and digitranslator go for that...

If you cant....go for premiere..

DaBasstard...i will try to get a detailed description on what to do in premiere and protools to get it working, and i'll post it hee and mail it to you...so you can add it on your tips-page.

Bastiaan
Old 01-05-2003, 01:47 PM

Thanks! Guess I'll go with Adobe Premiere for now and if I ever get more "pro" down the road (and win the lotto), I'll upgrade to Avid DV Express.

I appreciate all the comments.

Ron