Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 PM

Default Where to set the Eleven Rack's Volume for ProTools Playback/Monitoring?

I recently purchased an Eleven Rack and I am trying to calibrate my monitors with the unit for playback.

I am only using the 11R as an audio interface for ProTools 12.4. I am wondering where to set the Eleven Rack's Output Volume. My current monitors are M-Audio BX5As which also have an input volume adjustment.

When calibrating the monitors to the room, I am wondering where to adjust the volume. (On the 11R or the Monitors) Am I loosing any resolution by having the Eleven Rack's volume any lower than fully up in this scenario?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
JC
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Where to set the Eleven Rack's Volume for ProTools Playback/Monitoring?

I don't technically know if you are losing anything by not have the 11R all the way up, but I have never experienced any differences with the 11R volume set at different levels.

When setting thing up, I typically start with the monitors all the way down and the 11R set to volume 7.0. Then while playing a test tone, I raise the monitors until the listening volume is around 85db. On my monitors, this is not all the way up.

This allows me to listen at the recommended mixing levels, and gives you that little bit extra from the 11R when needed.

System Details
Old 03-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Where to set the Eleven Rack's Volume for ProTools Playback/Monitoring?

Hey junkgear, which test tone do you use? And do you reach 85db with both monitors on? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 AM

What are you trying to do? You are not actually calibrating anything are you? If calibrating what SPL meter are you using?

And your low-end monitors are not going to sound at all good trying to run anywhere near 85 dBSPL. So forget all this.

All you need to do is a bit of basic gain staging. Turn the Eleven Rack master volume up half way. Turn the monitor volume up to you get a level near what you want to listen at using a reference recording you know well and is similar to what you will be working with. Then keeping a roughly constant output level (loudness you hear). Increase the Eleven Rack master volume while decreasing the monitor volume and visa versa until you find the combination that sounds best to you (dynamics, frequency response, noise/hum etc).