Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 AM

Default Pro Tools & Digigrid

Hey Guys,

I'm considering installing a Digigrid setup in the new facility we are building

We would roughly be using (4) IOX's and (1) IOS spread out across a few rooms.

I would never need to record more than 32 inputs at a time, but I've had problems with PT vanilla not being able to use inputs channels patched past input 32.

Is there an easy way around this without buying HD?

I suppose I could patch inside the Waves software, but I'd rather label my in/outs in PT for easy reference and patching across the rooms.

Thanks,

-Josh
Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools & Digigrid

You are limited to 32 I/O without HD hardware.
Even if you have HD software it is still limited to 32 I/O without HD Hardware.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Good question -- I wish I had more than 32 ins to confirm but this is how I think it will work...

PT really only sees the first 32 inputs and you can't choose particular 32 out of 48 either. Its always the first 32.

In a SoundGrid System all inputs are actually routed in the SoundGrid Studio setup from SoundGrid i/o inputs (the 4 IOX's in your case) to CoreAudio channel inputs using the SoundGrid Studio Setup window. It is in that window that you can save a few different mappings so that you can have the right inputs live for ProTools. Process would be - close ProTools - load new session in SoundGrid Studio then relaunch ProTools. A bit of a pain for sure but in PTHD or Vanilla with 3rd party driver there is no other way (I know of). And just as said by 29CountsNY - PTHD with DigiGrid won't change this :-( Its a PT thing that even with HD (which is what I have) using anything other than AVID driver and you are limited to the first 32 CoreAudio i/o

Sadly - this also means you can't just label all 48 in ProTools with 3rd party driver! Maybe 16 or 24 are always the same at least? You could have a few setups in PT but certainly a bit cumbersome...

Does that get your question??
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-08-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Does that get your question??
Yes, it's a little disappointing honestly.

Oh well...
Old 08-25-2015, 07:40 AM

Was looking into a Digigrid for home use. Gonna stand pat for now and see what comes down the pike.

I do think Waves is on to something with Digigrid but it's more than most want for their studios. Just give us a "UAD-2 like" Digigrid server that runs the Waves plugins. No studiorack, no emotion mixer. Just plugin offloading like a uad-2 card. Forget tracking thru plugins. That makes it clunky and complex. IMO, waves would sell a bunch of these "plugin power only servers" to HDX and native DAW users in a flash.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
Was looking into a Digigrid for home use. Gonna stand pat for now and see what comes down the pike.

I do think Waves is on to something with Digigrid but it's more than most want for their studios. Just give us a "UAD-2 like" Digigrid server that runs the Waves plugins. No studiorack, no emotion mixer. Just plugin offloading like a uad-2 card. Forget tracking thru plugins. That makes it clunky and complex. IMO, waves would sell a bunch of these "plugin power only servers" to HDX and native DAW users in a flash.
I agree. I'd buy one right now!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 PM

For me the ability to track in super low latency with plugins is the number one reason I use DiGiGrid. On my hex core MacPro 6,1 I can run more plugins Natively than i ever need. But not at low latency (lowest buffer settings).

Other things in favor is also being able to track into a session with all the Master Fader plugins active and still have super low latency. But it is its own peculiar work environment and can never be as simple as HDX with ProTools (eMotion, StudioRack etc).
Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
For me the ability to track in super low latency with plugins is the number one reason I use DiGiGrid. On my hex core MacPro 6,1 I can run more plugins Natively than i ever need. But not at low latency (lowest buffer settings).

Other things in favor is also being able to track into a session with all the Master Fader plugins active and still have super low latency. But it is its own peculiar work environment and can never be as simple as HDX with ProTools (eMotion, StudioRack etc).
I agree. But they should also have an optional product to just provide a simple plugin power thingy "ala uad-2", minus the studiorack, emotion mixer, and convoluted setup. For those who already have HDX, Apollo, or don't care to track with plugins. IMO, Waves would make a killing on that...fast. HDX users would grab one first day.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
I agree. But they should also have an optional product to just provide a simple plugin power thingy "ala uad-2", minus the studiorack, emotion mixer, and convoluted setup. For those who already have HDX, Apollo, or don't care to track with plugins. IMO, Waves would make a killing on that...fast. HDX users would grab one first day.
DiGiGrid (DLS) integrates very well with HDX and provides exactly what you are asking for with the only requirement that you use StudioRack. No eMotion or setup stuff. It is HDX + Plugin power for Waves. How popular it is - that's a different matter that I know nothing about

Last edited by propower; 08-25-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
DiGiGrid (DLS) integrates very well with HDX and provides exactly what you are asking for with the only requirement that you use StudioRack. No eMotion or setup stuff. It is HDX + Plugin power for Waves. How popular it is - that's a different matter that I know nothing about
Are you saying with an HDX, you can hook up a DLS by just plugging in an ethernet cable and the DLS will show inside Pro Tools w/ Studiorack?

Or do you still have to do that setup where the DLS is inserted between the HDX card and the Digi I/O?

Also, if you get a session full of native waves plugins inserted as normal without studiorack, do they open within studiorack on the DLS enabled HDX?