Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Meters won't peak while recording...EVER!!?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by illution1 View Post
SpinningDisk,

Unless I have been misinformed, it is not possible to use protools with my interface unless I am running this mix control software as a virtual input mixer.
illution1

That's right about the mix control, it's part of the driver for Focusrite interfaces.

I did, however, just test this on my system (check my sig) and my meters clip on both the mix control and in PT.

What version of PT? What version of Mix Control? Have you trashed prefs? What OS? Thought this would be a simple fix, have you checked the Help us help you - Read this before posting'?

I've attached a pic of my system performing as expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 6.52.48 PM.jpg (91.2 KB, 0 views)
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Disregard my last comment. I misread the thread that you suggested to me. DRE2580.

When reading it, I figured that it was talking about bypassing the Mix Control mixer in essence by directly routing a signal USING MC. I had no idea that you could actually get away with not even opening the program in the first place. In the past when attempting to run pro tools without the Mix Control, it would never ever work.

In conclusion, loading pt without mix control at all worked like a charm and I no longer have the clipping display problem on the meters.

Thanks dude!

P.S. for other users who are experiencing this problem, make sure you set up all of your routing in mix control perfectly first (before you attempt to load pt without MC)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
illution1

That's right about the mix control, it's part of the driver for Focusrite interfaces.
Well, I guess we both learned something today. Apparently, you CAN load PT without MC. I downloaded the latest version of MC from focusrite's website today. Maybe that is what enabled me to launch protoold without booting up 'ol MC.

Not sure if the upgrade of MC software is what fixed my (non) clip display issue or not, but I just realized that now I CAN see the clip indicator in both MC and PT mixer. (it also might have been my previous lack of experience and understanding of the MC router before I rerouted everything to my liking which caused the clip display problem however I don't really see how though)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess we both learned something today. Apparently, you CAN load PT without MC. I downloaded the latest version of MC from focusrite's website today. Maybe that is what enabled me to launch protoold without booting up 'ol MC.

Not sure if the upgrade of MC software is what fixed my (non) clip display issue or not, but I just realized that now I CAN see the clip indicator in both MC and PT mixer. (it also might have been my previous lack of experience and understanding of the MC router before I rerouted everything to my liking which caused the clip display problem however I don't really see how though)

The mix control is a powerful tool, and can take a few months to get a handle on. In my setup (Mac) I never needed to open the MC, I just do for setting up my Headphone cues and ensuring that my hardware is connected prior to launching PT's. When I'm tracking, I do leave it open on the second monitor just to be sure I'm not clipping my A/D...nothing worse that a clipping that killer take!

Katherine, from focusrite comes on here frequently and she is a great help. IF you have any issues with your setup you can always try to contact her via Focusrites support...or, I find the easiest way is through here :P

Some days I miss Toronto because of the scene....then I look outside to my scenery Make music!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Glad u got it working....
Old 01-29-2014, 03:47 AM

Thanks very much guys!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:47 PM

OK, so I have another issue now. This maybe a very noob question but:

I was testing my location sound device's limiters and compressors (not recording into protools, but recording on a portable device) and then importing the files into protools. I was recording with the limiters off (to make it clip on purpose). I noticed that when I clipped the level on purpose and then imported that same file into pt, the audio track that the file is on will never show clipping in the meter.

Shouldn't the pt meter clip when you import a file which has been clearly clipped during the recording phase?

Heck, I even proceeded to recorde with my interface (while purposely clipping), exported that file to desktop, imported it again and played it with no clip indicator displaying in the pt mixer.

I am so confused...
Old 01-31-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't the pt meter clip when you import a file which has been clearly clipped during the recording phase?
No. It's as it should be.
The waves will be cut at the top and bottom at 0dbfs, and become so-called square waves. A digital audio file cannot feed the PT mixer with anything more than 0dbfs, so it can technically not trigger the clip indicator, unless you boost it and meter post fader.
You shouldn't worry so much.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess we both learned something today. Apparently, you CAN load PT without MC. I downloaded the latest version of MC from focusrite's website today. Maybe that is what enabled me to launch protoold without booting up 'ol MC...
Once set up to your liking (a process that took me 1/2 hour when I first installed my LS56), you NEVER have to actually launch MixControl - only if you have a need to change something. It's simply a router from the I/O to/from PTools. Think of it as a "digital patchbay"; once the "patchcords" are set, you can basically ignore it and get to work !!! It seems some people make a big deal about MC. For me at least, it's set-and-forget. (Well, you will need to open MC if you want to change your sample rate. For me though, this is a pretty rare occurence.) Hope this helps !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Once set up to your liking (a process that took me 1/2 hour when I first installed my LS56), you NEVER have to actually launch MixControl - only if you have a need to change something. It's simply a router from the I/O to/from PTools. Think of it as a "digital patchbay"; once the "patchcords" are set, you can basically ignore it and get to work !!! It seems some people make a big deal about MC. For me at least, it's set-and-forget. (Well, you will need to open MC if you want to change your sample rate. For me though, this is a pretty rare occurence.) Hope this helps !!!
IT's set and forget if you have no interest in monitoring your inputs with zero latency, or setting up headphone cues. In reality it's like a virtual mixer for your interface. If you don't need those things, then yes....set and forget. But don't forget that it can be a very powerful tool that can help during tracking and overdubs.