Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Group Master Faders?

I'll "try" to make this my last dumb question of the year.

Is there a way to create a "traditional" big console style of Group Master Faders?

Example: 8 tracks of audio "trimmed" by a group master that generally sits at zero. (the way a normal Neve/Harrison has group master faders)

I've tried in the past creating a blank fader and adding it to the group. Of course as soon as I touch my new group master fader, it puts everything into write blowing away any automation in the 8 underlying audio tracks. The only other ways I have found to do it is to be in Trim mode with grouping activated, (does seem to kinda do what I was hoping) or, to create numerous re-assign busses. (Also works, but uses up a ton of busses along with processing)

The ultimate goal would be 10 top faders that control many audio tracks underneath. (FX predubs 1-10) This would be similar to the way a Neve DFC does a "filet". Any thoughts?

Thanks all in advance...........Andy D.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Group Master Faders?

Aux Tracks

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-22-2005, 06:21 PM

>Is there a way to create a "traditional" big console style of Group Master Faders?<

No, but I hope they do it. That would be great.

RJR
>Aux Tracks<

One of the problems with this solution in a post production situation is that since we're already mixing in surround with many 5.1 paths for busses, sends and outputs, it's typical to use up two or three process cards just for the mix engines. Add 150 voices, EQs on every channel, a bunch of reverbs for all the stems etc., and you just might not have the DSP left to create another whole set of 5.1 aux channels. One's lucky to be able to use ADC sometimes.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 PM

Cool, thanks for the response. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a trick that someone was using out there.

Yes, I'm already running out of busses (and I thought going from 64 to 128 I'd never run out) I just want more, more, more. Engineering went from 3 to 5 cards when we upgraded in August, and I've pretty much used that up. PT will continue to get better and better, and has long been my favorite mixing platform. I'd rather be on it than the million dollar big consoles. Looking forward to the future.........Andy D.

Quote:
>Is there a way to create a "traditional" big console style of Group Master Faders?<

No, but they're working on it. I think at NAB we'll see some super-duper automation updates that will bring Pro Tools automation up to par with many of the large format consoles.

RJR
>Aux Tracks<

One of the problems with this solution in a post production situation is that since we're already mixing in surround with many 5.1 paths for busses, sends and outputs, it's typical use up two or three process cards just for the mix engines. Add 150 voices, EQs on every channel, a bunch of reverbs for all the stems etc., and you just might not have the DSP left to create another whole set of 5.1 aux channels. One's lucky to be able to use ADC sometimes.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:04 AM

> (and I thought going from 64 to 128 I'd never run out) I just want more, more, more. <

Yeh, mixers are like that.