How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Multitrack audio over IP

Does this exist?
We want to wire a concert hall into the next building where the recording studio is. But we also have many venues on campus that we would like to record from. We have a very fast network on campus. Gigabit switches. Does anybody use or know of a device that will digitize multitracks of audio at the source, convert it into an IP stream and convert it back to the original audio at the destination. I would imagine a modular device on both sides. Say 8 tracks per module. Does this exist? I looked at rocketnetwork and wormhole but I like the idea of a dedicated, yet portable device. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rob
Old 10-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Avid

Default Re: Multitrack audio over IP

Hi Rob,

There are a number of technologies that can transmit audio over Ethernet. Check out Peak Audio/Cirrus Logic's Cobranet and Digigram's EtherSound. CobraNet works with off-the-shelf IP hardware, while EtherSound needs a more dedicated infrastructure. Both companies offer solid performance (64 channels over 100 Base-T), support a variety of I/O devices from thrid party manufacturers, and are working on Gigabit solutions for increased channel count.

Sheldon
Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check them out.

Rob
Old 11-28-2005, 09:38 PM

Axiaaudio.com has a product that may work for you. They have an IP audio driver which allows you to multitrack. I don't know how many channels though.

Check out their livewire product.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 PM

Hi,

You might want to check Aviom too. It is definitely much more user friendly and economical.

Cheers
Jimmy
Singapore
Old 12-10-2005, 09:30 AM

I would advise against Aviom. The concept might be great, but in real world use, the sound quality is highly questionable. I have not spent a lot of time on the Aviom to be able to judge it, but from the times that I have heard it in action, from demos and using it live, Aviom just does not make the cut. This is just my two cents.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:27 PM

I would have to agree with kleefurd. I am a user of both the Aviom and PQs, and the Aviom sound quality is iffy. The converters are REALLY touchy, the slightest thing can send them over the edge. My acoustic guitar player and I (5 string bass) have switched over to PQs because the Avioms crunch out on the low end and sound like I'm playing through a Marshall which would be fine if I WAS playing through a Marshall! This is all direct into the Venue and out into the Aviom. We had to switch and I will NEVER go back!

Erik