Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Free Dynamics III DigiRack Plug-in Suite

Yes, that's exactly the scenario that happens. The only difference for me is that it is the new Desser 3 plug-in and not Dynamics 3 that appears to cause the problem. I haven't tried Dynamics 3 so don't know on that one. EQ 3 is also in the desk (has been in my desk since it was released, love it), but doesn't seem to contribute to the issue. I really like the new deesser, or I wouldn't worry about it much. Do you know where I can get the Waves .xml fix? I scoured the Waves site, but since I'm not engineering, I don't have access to most customer support in the WUP plan. If anyone at Digi would like to see this, I'd be happy to show this any time over the next couple of weeks until we're back mixing every day. Thanks.......Andy D.

Quote:
So here's a trouble shooter for you. I got a call from the assistant at World Link Digital's (you know those guys right? ) Pro Control dub stage saying that automation parameters were not appearing on some Waves plugins. It wasn't happening on every session, but it was consistent that day. I told him that this problem as cropped up recently and asked him if Dynamics III was installed. He said he didn't know. I had him open the session on the second system in the room and when he did, the auto parameters showed up and were added to the "enabled" list. Opened the same session back on the first system and the parameters were still there, but when he added an additional Waves plugin, no parameters . I called back today to follow up and sure enough, the first system had Dynamics III installed and the second system didn't. He took Dyn III out of the first system and now it's solid. No problems with automation parameters. EQ III is still installed. So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
The WLD systems are Dual 1.25 Mirrored Doors, maxed RAM, 10.3.8, PT 6.9.1cs3, Pro Control.

You might want to send Tom or Jon over to Todd Burbank if Andy can show it constantly. They might be able to spot something or at least just witness it happening.

I'll try to follow up and have WLD put the Waves .xml fix in, reinstall Dyn III and let you know what happens.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:32 PM

>Do you know where I can get the Waves .xml fix?<

Go to the Waves site. You'll need to log into a current account, and go Downloads>V5 Downloads and scroll all the way down to "Waves Audio Support for Digidesign D-Control (Icon) Control Surface". That will download the .xml files and a "Read Me", which you should read as it will tell you where to put the files and how to customize them for your particular WavesShell, if necessary.

>The only difference for me is that it is the new Desser 3 plug-in and not Dynamics 3 that appears to cause the problem.<

Hmmm. You might have something there. I didn't ask the WLD assistant what he was running exactly, but when I had disappearing Sound Toys parameters on a Dual 2Gig G5 Accel system, that's what I was using, the De-esser.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Quote:
>Do you know where I can get the Waves .xml fix?<

Go to the Waves site. You'll need to log into a current account, and go Downloads>V5 Downloads and scroll all the way down to "Waves Audio Support for Digidesign D-Control (Icon) Control Surface". That will download the .xml files and a "Read Me", which you should read as it will tell you where to put the files and how to customize them for your particular WavesShell, if necessary.

Thanx, I'll give that a try....

>The only difference for me is that it is the new Desser 3 plug-in and not Dynamics 3 that appears to cause the problem.<

Hmmm. You might have something there. I didn't ask the WLD assistant what he was running exactly, but when I had disappearing Sound Toys parameters on a Dual 2Gig G5 Accel system, that's what I was using, the De-esser.
I'll have to give the dynamics a try also. I"ll let you know what I find on Thursday.........Andy D.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Yes, did the test this morning. The dynamics 3 plug in shows this issue also. The Q6, Q10, and C4 automation enable windows are blank........Andy D.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Avid

I think we've discovered what the problem is.

Because some 3rd party plug-ins do not use a 'proper' page table resource or don't have a resource at all (which was the case with Waves until they came out with an update), the method the Pro Tools uses to get that resource can reveal issues with improper page tables. That's the reason that there doesn't seem to be any consistency to which plug-in causes it and which one exhibits the problem.

In other words - there is nothing wrong with Dynamics III or EQIII or any plug-in that has proper page table resources. You're merely seeing the secondary effects.

There were changes made in Pro Tools 7 that address this. We're looking into a possible fix for Pro Tools 6.9, but we do not have any specific information from engineering if this is going to be possible yet, so no promises.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:37 PM

>We're looking into a possible fix for Pro Tools 6.9, but we do not have any specific information from engineering if this is going to be possible yet, so no promises.<

This is a little off topic for this thread, but here goes. I hope you guys can keep on top of issues like this with PT6.9. Pro Tools 7 has many great new features (with more to come I'm sure) and people will move to it as soon as they can to take advantage of them. Many people that work at larger facilities, like Andy (and me), where an efficient workflow has to be maintained, with compatibility being a key element, will be using PT6 a while longer until management finds it's necessary to move everyone to the new version. I have both PT6 & 7, but I can't just change someone's session to PT7 because I want to if they need it back for more work or take it to another facility that's using an earlier version of Pro Tools. I will work in PT6 in that case. Keeping updates coming for PT6 to address issues like this parameters bug, which can be a show stopper, will be much appreciated during this transition time. Being stuck in PT6 for a while longer shouldn't mean I can't use plugin automation. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 PM

>es, did the test this morning. The dynamics 3 plug in shows this issue also. The Q6, Q10, and C4 automation enable windows are blank........Andy D.<

Andy, were you able to try the Waves .xml file fix? Just curious if that worked for you.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 PM

Ok very good. I have our engineering still checking on the updated xml file from Waves, but nothing so far. Only engineering can get in the WUP support site, so I can't do much. In the meantime, I"ll keep checking in. Thanks for the update........Andy Daddario

Quote:
I think we've discovered what the problem is.

Because some 3rd party plug-ins do not use a 'proper' page table resource or don't have a resource at all (which was the case with Waves until they came out with an update), the method the Pro Tools uses to get that resource can reveal issues with improper page tables. That's the reason that there doesn't seem to be any consistency to which plug-in causes it and which one exhibits the problem.

In other words - there is nothing wrong with Dynamics III or EQIII or any plug-in that has proper page table resources. You're merely seeing the secondary effects.

There were changes made in Pro Tools 7 that address this. We're looking into a possible fix for Pro Tools 6.9, but we do not have any specific information from engineering if this is going to be possible yet, so no promises.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 PM

No, not so far. Engineering is swamped with maintenance stuff while the stages are slow for the holidays, so I'm pretty far down the list right now. Maybe after the holidays? Thanks for the tips...............Andy D.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:20 PM

I'm setting up my ProTools 7 rig right now. The Dynamics III installer installed v6.9 for PT7. Is that right?

STeve