Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2002, 11:49 AM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS 6.0

[/QUOTE]FWIW, NT came from OS2 I believe.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Wrong. The NT operating systems came from Microsofts Lan Manager which was competing with OS/2. Yes Windows NT is similar to UNIX. Alot things were borrowed from UNIX for NT, for example, the protected memory kernel and the usage of services that manage the OS. However, the windows registry is somthing that was never in UNIX, and frankly I hate the registry. With Operating Systems based on UNIX, or freebsd, you do not need to use an installer program for applications. All you have to do is just copy the files into a folder, this allows for VERY VERY little fragmentation of the hard drive. This is what OS 10.2 is based on for the MAC OS. In 2004 or 2005 we will see the follow up to Windows XP code named, LONGHORN. This Operating System is a complete overhaul from the ground up. It will include a new file system as well as a 3D rendered GUI by the way of OPEN GL through your Video card (This is what OS 10 is) Also one of the other interesting facts about longhorn is that it will support special security at the hardware level through MS Paladium as well as built in SPAM filerting and ad filtering.

www.dreamware.ca
Have something to brag about...Own a Dreamware Audio PC...

My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2700C2 Corsair
MSI KT3ULTRA ARU
2x 80GB Seagate Barracuda 4 in RAID 0
GeForce 2 Ti 64MB
Lite-On 40x12x40 CD-RW
16x Pioneer DVD
Intel Pro/100 +
SB Audigy
Digi 001
Old 09-28-2002, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames08:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by gabriel_p:
P.S.: Check out the Track Count while you're at it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you guys trying to hint at something, or is this just hopeful "wishful thinking"?

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by mjames08:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by gabriel_p:
P.S.: Check out the Track Count while you're at it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you guys trying to hint at something, or is this just hopeful "wishful thinking"?<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Just give it a look!

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2002, 06:16 PM

Okay, that's enough! My email is

[email protected] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Actually my email should be up and available, if not I'll update my profile. But if any of you swell fellas or fell...ettes? are doing beta testing, don't endanger your NDA. You're obviously valuable assets in the war against arrogant enemy DAW makers. However, my rewards can be quite satisfying...

Nah, just kidding. I'm still saving up for the 002 after all. It's fun to play around tho. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2002, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamware:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">FWIW, NT came from OS2 I believe.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. The NT operating systems came from Microsofts Lan Manager which was competing with OS/2. Yes Windows NT is similar to UNIX. Alot things were borrowed from UNIX for NT, for example, the protected memory kernel and the usage of services that manage the OS. However, the windows registry is somthing that was never in UNIX, and frankly I hate the registry. With Operating Systems based on UNIX, or freebsd, you do not need to use an installer program for applications. All you have to do is just copy the files into a folder, this allows for VERY VERY little fragmentation of the hard drive. This is what OS 10.2 is based on for the MAC OS. In 2004 or 2005 we will see the follow up to Windows XP code named, LONGHORN. This Operating System is a complete overhaul from the ground up. It will include a new file system as well as a 3D rendered GUI by the way of OPEN GL through your Video card (This is what OS 10 is) Also one of the other interesting facts about longhorn is that it will support special security at the hardware level through MS Paladium as well as built in SPAM filerting and ad filtering.[/QB][/QUOTE]

According to the article I posted a link to above on the history of NT....NT kernel came directly from VAS operating system for VAX cpus...by Digital/

The chief engineer responsible for this..was hired away from Digital by B Gates and MS in the early 80s as he was about to depart Digital. He brought with him about 20 Digital employees.

Originally, the plan was to use the OS/2 api interface..and call it OS/2 NT (for New Technology). But, after Windows 3.0 came out..IBM and MS were sort of understandably on fallout terms (Win 3.0 sold more copies than any other OS ..by a large margin)...MS decided to use the Windows api for their new kernel OS..and call it Windows NT instead.

So, the deal is..the NT kernel..according to this article..is..was...verbatim..the VAS kernel.

It was so much so..that Digital sued MS..and it was settled out of court for a quite large sum of money.

I belive sometime later..there was some out of court settlement between Apple and MS over "Windows". as well.

Anyway..it was an enourmous engineering feat. Add Windows API, registry..etc..to VAS (a 32bit OS)..and make it backwards compatible with 16bit apps...plus...other protocals..etc.

And it was done..in fairly short order. According to the article at the peak there were over 200 engineers working on it!!!

VAS/VAX Digital was a direct competetor to UNIX variants at the time. This sort of implies that it is NOT unix...or a variant of unix..but it's "own" thing..that offers features..etc..to compete with unix.

Anyway, like I said..it's an interesting read if you have the time.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel_p:
P.S.: Check out the Track Count while you're at it. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 01:24 AM

I have not heard of that but if you go to a book store and pick up an A+ Certification book by Cybex, they say exactly what I said above.

www.dreamware.ca

My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2700C2 Corsair
MSI KT3ULTRA ARU
GeForce 2 Ti 64MB
Lite-On 40x12x40 CD-RW
16x Pioneer DVD
Intel Pro/100 +
SB Audigy
Digi 001
Old 09-29-2002, 11:10 AM

It's entirely possible that the situation you quoted..about Microsoft Lan Manager..did occur at some point...during NT's birth. But, the underpinnings of NT did not come from that and I would assume this happened sometime after David from Digital was already there putting NT together. ie..when the decision was made to use Windows API instead of OS/2 api.

I would interperet that to be that Microsoft Lan Mgr....(as part of the Windows strategy)...would have also been chosen over all IBM OS/2 alternatives at that point as well. This makes sense..if you view it in terms of a certification manual...that they would note the historical significance of where the networkign components of NT came from.

However, that's just one part of an OS.

But, you never know..I mean it "is" the internet..and being posted here doens't make it true. However, I have found WinNT Mag to be a pretty credible source for such info...and the article I posted a link to above....(a few posts up) goes into GREAT detail about NT..it's origins...even so far as to show a comparison between the VAS and NT kernel..word for word.

Anyway, you should check out the article. It's quite long...but you might find it interesting.

The one thing I found facinating was what Digital was playing with in the 70s. It's amazing to think that they were making and using 32bit cpus back in the 70s...and here some almost 30 years later..were struggling to get to 64bit cpus to work as well as the 32 bit ones. Just amazing.

Anyway...I encourage you to read the article..interesting stuff.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:08 AM

I will have to look into that more. Thanks.

www.dreamware.ca

My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+
512MB PC2700C2 Corsair
MSI KT3ULTRA ARU
GeForce 2 Ti 64MB
Lite-On 40x12x40 CD-RW
16x Pioneer DVD
Intel Pro/100 +
SB Audigy
Digi 001