Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Stems equal Final Mix or may be not ..... ?

maybe i need to re word my question - i guess this is about gain structure and my original question #3

"3. what should my stems (or sub masters) peak levels equal so that when the DME stems are all combined their sum value does not peak -10dbfs"

so if my final mix (all stems combined) can not peak -10dbfs .... as a rule what should the limiters celling of each stem be set to - obviously not -10dbfs, as when i have done this in the past i get overs

is there a formula / rule that is used here eg: all stem masters busses are brick walled @ -15dbfs so that when combined will not go over -10dbfs

or

as you stated earlier all stems are set to 1db below the max spec therefore when combined will not peak

cheers
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 AM

There is no formula.
I set my limiters for the spec max, in this case - 10
And when needed I will adjust for a specific event.

Living the dream.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM

ok cheers n thanks for you help

rs
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
There is no formula.
I set my limiters for the spec max, in this case - 10
And when needed I will adjust for a specific event.
How do you know when it hits over? Do you watch meters the entire show? Some kind of watchdog meter that tells you the TC of the over?
Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM

Well, I do keep an eye on meters, and I also watch them during playback.
however, with everyone basically having to mix to the new broadcast spec, having the dolby media meter is a must, so a quick look at the log shows you the overs as well.

Living the dream.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 AM

My 2 pence. .

I make a "aux group" as a buss send to each stem track. . IE- Kick, Snare, Top Kit, Bass, Gtr etc . . These stay at unity. I buss them to a sub master with the compression on it. . That is then printed to a stereo track with the compression bypassed. . That stereo track is then my mix compression key track. I'll send it pre fade to a bus, say #64 at -5.9db and have the fader off . . I then copy my sub m compressor to all my "aux groups" and pick up the key on bus 64. .

This way all the stems' compression is working as the sub m buss compressor did. .

This method has been working for me. . Whan summed, the stems are good, no cherries . .

Have I explained that ok ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
My 2 pence. .

I make a "aux group" as a buss send to each stem track. . IE- Kick, Snare, Top Kit, Bass, Gtr etc . . These stay at unity. I buss them to a sub master with the compression on it. . That is then printed to a stereo track with the compression bypassed. . That stereo track is then my mix compression key track. I'll send it pre fade to a bus, say #64 at -5.9db and have the fader off . . I then copy my sub m compressor to all my "aux groups" and pick up the key on bus 64. .

This way all the stems' compression is working as the sub m buss compressor did. .

This method has been working for me. . Whan summed, the stems are good, no cherries . .

Have I explained that ok ?

Not very usefull in audio post production.

Living the dream.