Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Default Protools 11 A HUGE FIASCO 99% plugins currently available are useless. Beware.

Simply useless for the time being. This gives my studio a forceful adoption of Logic. I've been a more than 20 years proud protools user, with this new update and without a 32 bit bridge option which could have been implemented, this brings all of us back to SQ 1. My HDX recently upgraded will be on ebay by the weekend. Corporate greed has become our number one ennemy.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Protools 11 A HUGE FIASCO 99% plugins currently available are useless. Beware.

Cool can I have your stuff?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Protools 11 A HUGE FIASCO 99% plugins currently available are useless. Beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsonicajp50 View Post
Simply useless for the time being. This gives my studio a forceful adoption of Logic. I've been a more than 20 years proud protools user, with this new update and without a 32 bit bridge option which could have been implemented, this brings all of us back to SQ 1. My HDX recently upgraded will be on ebay by the weekend. Corporate greed has become our number one ennemy.
It's been common knowledge for quite some time that PT11 will be 64 bit AAX only. Developers will be updating in rather short order.

Did you take the time to read anything prior to spending your money?
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsonicajp50 View Post
Nice! Please post a link to your eBay listings.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Pro Tools Ultimate (perpetual with active updates/support plan)
RME Fireface 802, Focusrite Clarett+ Octopre, Eleven Rack (ERXP)
Monitors: Yamaha MSP7 and Yamaha HS8S
Asus RoG Maximus Hero Z790 (in a 4U slidable rack mount! )
Intel Core i9-13900k 5.4 Ghz (16 cores / 32 threads)
128 GB RAM G.Skill DDR5 6000 MHz (4 modules 32GB each)
Boot disk: Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB
Media disks: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2TB in RAID 0 for current work, 2 x Seagate Exos X20 20TB mirrored for archive and backup
Video: PNY/Nvidia RTX 3080 TI with a single 4K display Dell U3223QE 32''
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 PM

This thread is ridiculous. All of the information you needed to make an informed purchase was right in front of you. Walking around with your blinders on and you wallet out is a bad idea period.

If you don't like pt11 right now just keep using 10. You still have both licenses, nothing changes for you at all. When pt11 gets all the plugins ported you need just switch over at your leisure, when you have some down time or test off another pt computer.

This is a massive undertaking for all parties involved and it will take some time. This should not be a surprise to anyone who hasn't been stuck in a cave with no Internet connection for the last 1 1/2 years.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:46 AM

your license for PT11 will still work for the time. You can continue to work with PT10 until all or most of your plugins have been updated to AAX 64 bit. Hope this helps :)
nexis
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 AM

"Simply useless for the time being."

I guess, until THIRD parties provide plug ins, so, not Avid's fault.

"Forced adoption of Logic"

Really? Did 10 just refuse to work? did it die? has it stopped doing what it was doing a week before 11 got released?
How have you worked for the last 20 years without the features in PT11?
The lack of a 32 bit bridge is a bonus, the pains that Cubase and Logic users went through with 32 bit bridge is not worth the ability to use old plug ins.
I could understand your frustration if 10 could not be run side by side with 11 but it does.

"Corporate greed has become out number one enemy"

This statement is true but tell me, how does this relate to Pro Tools 11 being 64 bit and 3rd party developers not having their act together?

I would love for PT11 to be up and running with all my plug ins but transition takes time, there is a need for patience.
AVID have delivered their side of the bargain, now it's up others to catch up...
Meanwhile...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rjhy3.jpg (36.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesackic View Post
This thread is ridiculous. All of the information you needed to make an informed purchase was right in front of you. Walking around with your blinders on and you wallet out is a bad idea period.

If you don't like pt11 right now just keep using 10. You still have both licenses, nothing changes for you at all. When pt11 gets all the plugins ported you need just switch over at your leisure, when you have some down time or test off another pt computer.

This is a massive undertaking for all parties involved and it will take some time. This should not be a surprise to anyone who hasn't been stuck in a cave with no Internet connection for the last 1 1/2 years.
Agree with this statement completely!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 AM

... because as we know PT10 has stopped working completely.
That is how it works, right- they release a software update and all of the previous versions self-destruct.

Look, updating is optional and it takes time for versions to become viable.
There is not a single professional studio in the world that will be using PT 11 for commercial work right now.
It might take months until it is a viable option.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 AM

I was going to start a thread similar to this but from the point of view that PT11 is useless for me at this point due to my heavy hitter plugins (NI and BFD2) not being AAX 64 bit yet. Yes I knew and know all about what has to be in place to use PT11 but in my current workflow here 90% or better needs most of the NI product line and BFD2 for both recording and mixing so all the whiz-bang features in PT11 mean nothing to me AT THIS TIME.

I cannot say PT11 is a fiasco as there are so many people that can use it as is and have the plugs they need working that for them it's a win.

For me I'll continue to happily work in PT10.3.6 getting my work done. I have the demo of PT11 and it does have some nice features but again - at this time and place it has nothing for me. In the future when NI and fxpansion get their stuff in aax 64 bit then I'll happily move to PT11.

And for those that need to be able to use all their ram over the limits of a 32 bit os then there's always VEPro 5 which I think with their dongle is about the same price as the PT10 to PT11 upgrade price.

Also think of it this way - does one really need to be on the bleeding edge of software? Let the first updates for PT11 come out to get the wrinkles out and there'll be less to worry and whine about when you do move to PT11. Let somebody else be the guinea pig (aka unpaid beta tester).

QAPLA!