Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2020, 12:48 PM

Default adding Omni for a couple more inputs?

Hi,
We need 3 more inputs into Protools for a project.
I have an HD Native and Lynx Aurora with 16 analog inputs.
I realized I own an Omni that I have never used...
I know I'll need another digilink cable, but can I use the Omni along with the current system?

The info online is definitely vague.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Re: adding Omni for a couple more inputs?

HD Native had 64 IO across two Digilink connections so I am not sure why there is a question here/what specifically you are worried about... the Digilink connection or loop sync support or what?

Even if you just wanted to daisy chain them off one Digilink port that depends on what the Aurora LT-HD or LT-HD2 Digilink card is emulating. Then the usual Digilink rules apply to that.

No info about if you are running LT-HD or LT-HD-2 or what firmware version... but you can read up on that and especially support for loop sync... but get on the latest firmware.

If its just an old Aurora emulating an Avid HD 16x16 then you can chain that with an Omni. Or since you have an unused Digilink connection you can also stick it on that. And you have always been able to clock, even before Aurora added loop sync support. Choice should really be down to cabling convenience,
Old 10-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer.
As I need to purchase another digilink cable, I wanted to ask first.
I guess my confusion was a result of skimming trough an article about not being able to use two Omni's....
Either that, or the fact that I'm just really dumb...
Old 10-18-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer.
As I need to purchase another digilink cable, I wanted to ask first.
I guess my confusion was a result of skimming trough an article about not being able to use two Omni's....
Either that, or the fact that I'm just really dumb...
Gotcha, no the two Omni's have nothing to do with it.. the Lynx does not emulate an Omni. I was not asking the question to make you feel dumb, I wanted to know for example if it was specifically a sync loop concern (a point of concern/confusion in the past with Lynx). Just did not want to run into the weeds on irrelevant stuff.

Make sure you purchase the correct mini-digilink to digilink adapter cable as well as a mini-digilink cable you need if you are running the old LT-HD card and want a second cable chained off that... it may be easier to just run a second mini-digilink cable direct from the HDN card to the Omni.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:24 PM

That's the plan.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 05:45 AM

Hello,

Just thinking about upgrade my HD native + HD Omni system with more outputs to work with Dolby Atmos.
My question is if it's possible to connect a second HD Omni to the expansion port in the first HD Omni or to the Port 2 in the HD Native to have 8 more outputs.

Thank you
Old 10-20-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eport View Post
Hello,

Just thinking about upgrade my HD native + HD Omni system with more outputs to work with Dolby Atmos.
My question is if it's possible to connect a second HD Omni to the expansion port in the first HD Omni or to the Port 2 in the HD Native to have 8 more outputs.

Thank you
No. Max of one Omni in a system. Please start new threads for your own questions in future.