Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs?

Hello everyone!
I just purchased the addictive drums 2 pack where you get 3 adpaks and 3 midipaks and I am trying to figure out what to get. I know it depends on what styles you like, but it seems like either way there will be some midipaks that will be better than others. I like pop/alternative rock such as fall out boy, my chemical romance, etc but I am also looking for some harder rock beats as well. I like a lot of different styles but that is what I think I want first.
So far I have the Fairview 1 kit and black velvet. For kits I was thinking about maybe also getting vintage dry but also thought maybe the real machines could be cool if wanted to add some 808s or some cool effects.
My biggest concern is the midipaks. I want the ones with the most usable variations. So far I got the American rock pack but I am pretty disappointed with it. All the beats are relatively similar and there aren't many of them. Some one's I was considering were the vintage dry midipak seems to have some variation, rock n roll, the loud songs, heavy rock songs, writer's block, alternative rock. There are just too many choices (not a bad thing) and the demos in AD2 don't give you enough to really make a good choice. I don't want to end up with something like the American rock pack again. I am also considering the real machines midipak of I get the real machines kit (how does it sound with acoutstic kits?).
Thanks guys! I know there are other threads on this but they seem to be more about the kits rather than the midipaks. Also, any recommendations for which three extra kit pieces to choose from?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Best Addictive Drums 2 midi packs?

Listen to the samples and pick 2 that you like. In any case, remember that you can edit all of these to your heart's content after dragging them into your session(which is great for making the drums unique to you as opposed to exactly the same as the everyone else using those midi packs. I also recommend busing the drums out to separate tracks(either AUDIO or AUX) and mix them as you would with a real kit(this will also give your final drums your own unique sound)

Listen to fills as those are the toughest to edit Editing straight beats is easy and can help you carve out something special. Sometimes its as simple as adding or removing ghost notes or altering the kick drum pattern so it follows your bass part, or adding/removing open hats at the end of measures here and there(try to think like a drummer)

BTW, if you have a midi keyboard or trigger unit(like the Trigger Finger), you can tap out your own parts(some units, including the Trigger Finger allow for custom pad assignments, so if you set up a bank of pads in pairs(2 pads per drum) you will be able to tap in fills that sound much more "real"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave