Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Question Mac pro built-in digital out connection to 192 I/O Adat in?

Hi, first a description of my situation:

I work with Pro tools hd 7.4, Pre, 192 I/O, C24, and a 8 core mac pro with leopard.

Like a lot of protools users I would like to use pro tools at the same time with other osx audio applications like safari, itunes and more.

Of corse I could connect the Built-in line out of the mac to one of my analog inputs on my Pre or a line input on the c24. My problem is, that the mac and the I/Os are in one room, the pre and the c24 are in a different room. So this solution isn't possible.

Than I thought I found the solution:

Put the nice looking ADAT out of my mac pro into the ADAT in of one I/O - open pro tools - set the input of the Digital in of my I/O to ADAT (setup-hardware) - enable 1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8 - choose the four stereo adat-in as my digital inputs in the main cathegory of the menu hardware - set everything in setup-I/O... (create paths, choose Adat, ...)- then opend a new track with all logical steps - enabled Input (green button) and launched itunes

-> nothing. I tried a lot of things that make sense and a lot that didn't make sense, but in fact I never heard anything out of my built-in digital outputs...

Hope someone can help me and merry x-mas to eyeryone!!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Mac pro built-in digital out connection to 192 I/O Adat in?

It won't work, you need to use the enclosure optical, Mac optical out is 2 channel SPDIF optical.

Mac optical can also pass AC3, but thats not what you're after right??
Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Give this a try:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

should do the trick, if I understand your dilemma correctly.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:51 PM

Try setting the input of your I/O to spdif optical not adat

Sean.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM

Thanks to you all and
Yeah Sean, this helped a lot.

I have sound now.

I had an annoying crackle and clicking in the background (a little bit like an old gramophone), the moment i start listening to something like itunes or even youtube and send it to my protools input channel.

Than I changed the sample rate in the audio midi setup of my mac and it was much better.

Now the built-in dig output rate is like my protools session on 48000.00 Hz

Still there are some irregular clicks (about one click per second)

is this a clock source problem? Can I maybe change the clock source of my mac outputs to an I/O?.

Any ideas how to get rid of it sean, or anybody else?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Avid

You need to run an optical cable from the 192 back to the Mac, then set the Mac to clock to the optical input in the Audio Midi Setup window.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Ok ill try this, thanks to you all
Old 03-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Question Mac Optical input not clocking to PT anymore !

Hey Guys similar problem .. i HAD a 2.5 PPC Quad Tiger and had 2 Optical lines going in & out of my mac to my 192.. set up a Dig Optical aux in PT .. set the mac Audio/Midi to external clock and had perfect clean music from iTunes & sfx Auditioning from M-Tools into my PT session..... WORKED PERFECTLY !!

Now-Upgraded to a 2.8 intel 8 Core with Leopard & PT8 10gig Ram... identical set up, but i get crackling... Audio/Midi says it's locked, & unlocks if I pull the 192 output INTO the mac but either way i get crackling, the only way to have clean signal is if I set My PT to sync to the 192 Optical input, but I don't want my Mac being my PT master Clock ! What am I doing wrong ?

Cheers Tom
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You need to run an optical cable from the 192 back to the Mac, then set the Mac to clock to the optical input in the Audio Midi Setup window.
Digi,

In my audio-midi setup, under "Built-in digital output," the option for clock source is greyed out. Any idea why?

Thanks
Adam
Old 09-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Mac Optical input not clocking to PT anymore !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Hey Guys similar problem .. i HAD a 2.5 PPC Quad Tiger and had 2 Optical lines going in & out of my mac to my 192.. set up a Dig Optical aux in PT .. set the mac Audio/Midi to external clock and had perfect clean music from iTunes & sfx Auditioning from M-Tools into my PT session..... WORKED PERFECTLY !!

Now-Upgraded to a 2.8 intel 8 Core with Leopard & PT8 10gig Ram... identical set up, but i get crackling... Audio/Midi says it's locked, & unlocks if I pull the 192 output INTO the mac but either way i get crackling, the only way to have clean signal is if I set My PT to sync to the 192 Optical input, but I don't want my Mac being my PT master Clock ! What am I doing wrong ?

Cheers Tom
I've had some issues with this as well. My old G5 had better quality native audio than my new 8 core. I finally got it the 8 core to run pretty well now, but occasionally I'll get a slight digital noise when running native apps like audio finder out of the digital out. You might try dumping the native audio prefs and see if that helps.