Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Maschine is driving me crazy!! MPC maybe?

Okay folks, for you maschine users that use maschine purely as a production tool (no live performances) you often deal with the pains of running multiple instances of maschine in pro tools or exporting midi that triggers only the pad you want to record and continuing this process with each pad that you are using, one by one. Personally, this drives me nuts. With my most recent purchase of the KK S49 MK2, the majority of the functionality I'm looking for (midi control) is now available with this device, with a pretty dope display screen. it ALMOST defeats the purpose of having the maschine... ALMOST... I still want the pad functionality and the sampling maschine has to offer. I found I can route audio from pads to individual tracks within pro tools and disable auto low latency. Although it monitors in sync, the moment I tap record the timing is COMPLETELY off. Uh, bummer... If I want to have pitch changes in my drum sounds, I have to have a separate instance of maschine open, with only that sound triggered in the maschine. Now I can record midi data on my keyboard directly in pro tools that trigger that note in maschine. deeats the purpose of having another 15 really cool pads to look at. I would like to be able to do this with multiple pads within the same instance of maschine. Ideally, I could have multiple midi tracks within pro tools that would trigger there own individual pad within one group on maschine. This would be amazing with my style of producing. And since exporting midi works perfectly without latency, theoretically, this SHOULD work. At the end of the day, I want to do everything in pro tools, but use a production station in a similar way that I can use komplete kontrol... writing, triggering and sequencing midi directly from pro tools into the production station as well as being able to simply write the midi data while using the production station. Yes I have Komplete Ultimate, but my S49 MK2 gives me access to 99% of the sounds in that pack and expansions. Does Akai offer this functionality? Should I look into the push? Is there another way to make maschine work in this way that I have not found? Let me know!

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Maschine is driving me crazy!! MPC maybe?

No multi-audio outputs for Mashine ?! I'm really surprised
Old 06-02-2018, 02:50 AM

I do not understand everything exactly what you want to do with maschine in PT :)

But I can say the following.
I use Maschine a lot (stand alone) and I love it.
And Pro Tools is my favorite DAW since 20 Years.

And now the Problems:

You can use Maschine in a DAW/PT as Plug In in 2 different ways.

1. using it as sound device. (without the maschine internal patterns/sequencer)
you can trigger any sound with a midi track from PT. In this case you record Midi in the DAW/PT. This works good and the ADC also works fine.
BUT (!) only with 44,1kHz. in higher sample rates (88,2 / 96) it is unusable, because you get double notes. this is a known maschine AAX bug.
there are videos who describes how to route midi from PT to the sounds of maschine. you don't have open more than 1 instance.
you can adress different midi channels and route machine sounds and groups to separate pro tools aux

2. using it in "maschine mode" (with its internal patterns)
in this case the sequencer of maschine plays in sync with the DAW.
here you have all the performance and recording features as in the stand alone version. only the start/stop is controlled by PT.
BUT here comes the second maschine AAX BUG. in this this mode the patterns of machine are NOT delay compensated with the ADC. so it is complete unusable in Pro Tools (it worked in PT 10) since PT 11 NI has not get this under control.
you can disable the ADC for the maschine track (this is a idea from NI support). in this case the patterns are in sync. but this is not a recommended workflow, because in this case you can only playback the patterns and you can not play new patterns with the pads, because the PADs are complete delayed.

the only solution is to use machine in maschine mode (with its internal patterns) with vienna instruments (as VST) is the only way to get the maschine patterns in sync and in this case you can use it without latency problems and full features of the maschine internal sequencer (patterns)

hope you understand what I mean :)

thats what it is.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
I do not understand everything exactly what you want to do with maschine in PT :)

And now the Problems:

you can trigger any sound with a midi track from PT. In this case you record Midi in the DAW/PT. This works good and the ADC also works fine.
BUT (!) only with 44,1kHz. in higher sample rates (88,2 / 96) it is unusable, because you get double notes. this is a known maschine AAX bug.
there are videos who describes how to route midi from PT to the sounds of maschine. you don't have open more than 1 instance.
you can adress different midi channels and route machine sounds and groups to separate pro tools aux

here you have all the performance and recording features as in the stand alone version. only the start/stop is controlled by PT.
BUT here comes the second maschine AAX BUG. in this this mode the patterns of machine are NOT delay compensated with the ADC. so it is complete unusable in Pro Tools (it worked in PT 10) since PT 11 NI has not get this under control.
you can disable the ADC for the maschine track (this is a idea from NI support). in this case the patterns are in sync. but this is not a recommended workflow, because in this case you can only playback the patterns and you can not play new patterns with the pads, because the PADs are complete delayed.

the only solution is to use machine in maschine mode (with its internal patterns) with vienna instruments (as VST) is the only way to get the maschine patterns in sync and in this case you can use it without latency problems and full features of the maschine internal sequencer (patterns)

thats what it is.
sorry I wrote something wrong:
-> no. 1: triggerring Maschine from PT with MIDI Tracks also works in higher sample rates (88,2/96) correct.
the double notes BUG only comes with the internal patterns of Maschine in higher sample rates
Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post

And now the Problems:

thats what it is.

So initially I gave it a shot based on your response and I got the same issue. Despite having separate midi tracks assigned to separate sounds in maschine, I could only hear the midi triggering the highlighted pad on maschine. So after tinkering, I changed the midi source to "host" and....... it worked. Thanks dude!
System 1: Lenovo - Ryzen 7 1700 8Core - 3 GHz - Win10 - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD HDD - 1TB Seagate External HDD - KA6 - PT 2018 - Blue Baby Bottle - KRK RP6 (2) - Yamaha HS8 (2) - Maschine Studio - KK S49 MK2 - Beats Studio - DT770 Studio - Samsung LC27F398 (2)

System 2: 15" MBP - I7 - 2.9GHz - High Sierra - 16GB Ram - 512GB SSD - Plus everything up there