Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 AM

Default Re: What external drives do you guys use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
A 5 meter firewire cable??!!?! Really?
Yes! The only down side is the extra 0000.1ms access time

All my external hard drives have a fan and cold air blowing over them!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Since I have my "Ye Olde" G4, I'm still on FW400 capacity, but for what I do, OWC Mercury Elite and Neptune drives have worked very well for me. Nice and quiet, they run cool (at least the 320 and 500 GB models do), and no failures yet.

My personal computer (non-studio use) is a PC, and I HAD Western Digital drives in it, but had 3 failures in one year, so switched to a Seagate Barracuda ES 250GB SATA drive, and so far so good (7 months later).

Now, internally in my G4, I have OLD Maxtor 80 GB and 40 GB drives, and seriously, those suckers are going on 6 or more years old and never a hiccup, burp or problem with them at all. I wouldn't touch those drives if you paid me to do it.

So until recently, I recommended Western Digital, but with the 3 failures in one year, I can't any more. Seagate Barracuda, Maxtor and OWC Mercury Elite and OWC Neptune drives have never let me down, so I can give the thumbs up on those.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Thanx a lot for all the info. I was also going to buy the lacie Big Disk xtreme but the more I researched the more I saw negative reviews. They are fairly cheap so I still may give it a try. I will also look into some of the other companies mentioned here that I have not heard of. As usual thanx again for tons of insight.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Someone on here mentioned the seagate freeagnet drive, I looked into these and they seem decent. The cost is low and it has a 5 year warranty as opposed to 1 or 2 years like the other companies. Back in the day I used to have 2 seagate SCSI Drives and they were great.
Anyone else use these?
Also can you guys tell me the main difference between a drive with a 16 mb and a 32 mb cache, (other than the extra 16 mb ha)
what is the advantage, Quicker access time ???
Old 03-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Which models?
Lacie don't make drives only enclosures so i assume their hi-end models would have better drives in?
I can speak on this & say Not the case; I was a faithful Lacie user for a lonnnggg time but & have had/has all the different ones they've made pretty much since I do mainly gospel sessions which Average 110g per session(& I do a lot of them in a yr)

Anywayz, the porshe drives seem to be the most stable (cases) drives I've had from Lacie; that being said, I personally will Neba, Eba Eba Eba Eba buy another Lacie drive for better or worse-til death do us part on'eim;

I still have six, 2 being in other casings & re-formatted because they were in the extreme case being raid so that was a total lost for me; the only time I turn them on is when I am backing up files; I have 6 drives in my tower so (mostly sata)...Makes me feel much safer...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 03-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Another one for OWC. Been using them for the last 7 years. I have 6 or 7 seven of them, great drives.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Glyph GT050Q

No worries.