How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2022, 08:21 AM

Default Custom Pan Maps

Greetings!

It's me again just one of those weeks where there's finally some time to dive further into S6 and features.

After custom maps have been established, making working on S6 consoles so much more mixer-friendly, I wanted to raise awareness to panning.
I find, that in my day to day workflow in film post I will do two types of panning:

1. Elaborate 5.1 and onwards panning: attention channel, move over to joysticks or touchscreen, This is working like a charm, although once custom pan maps are possible, I would probably map Height L and Height R right to the knobs of joystick module

2. Quick and dirty panning on channel: This is important for quickly adjusting the panning e.g. of stereo content within the LCR panorama and sometimes even on the y axis. Especially when dealing with multiple channels (a bunch of stereo ambiances) this is a way quicker method than using joysticks. The first things I'd like to have on my fingers would be "L front" and "R front". Unfortunately, these are on different pages, I can never control both at the same time. Next, I would sometimes adjust "L F/R" and "R F/R" aka. the y axis, again on different pages.

My workaround for this 2. kind of panning has been:
Use the single knob of the process module and set it to "R front" for all channels (press "All", page up 8 times on process knob, voila). That way, whenever I hit "Pan" I will have my "L front" control on the knob module and "R front" on process module. Pretty good. Only problem is that I almost exclusively work with VCAs and or Folders that I spill over the console in order to mix. However, the page state of spilled tracks (e.g. all channels on "EQ page 3", process module knob set to "Pan page 8: R front") does not change for unspilled slaves when hitting "All" and more importantly cannot be saved within layouts.

In summary, It would generally be a game changer to be able to create custom pan maps the same way they can be made for plugins. And in addition: to be able to save state as well as the page state of spilled channels in layouts.

Some more context: Anything spilled will normally default to "sends". Now, if I hit "All" and press "EQ" on a channel, everything including the spilled tracks will switch to EQ for as long as that session is open. I can even reload my layout and the state of all tracks that are not slave to a folder or vca will revert to whatever was saved in the layout, but the slaves will continue to stay on EQ, whenever spilled. This is a pretty good workaround as long as I cannot save the state of spilled tracks. However, this only works for the the actual process function (in this case EQ) and not for let's say the page of an EQ: It will jump back to page 1 with every spill. In the same way, the page of the pan function on the process knob will jump back to page 1: "L front". In order to get back to "R front" I will have to page up 8 times, making it too complicated for day-to-day applications.

I hope this makes any sense. Would be happy to hear your thoughts on this!

Best,
Gregor
Old 03-30-2022, 08:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Custom Pan Maps

Here's a few thoughts short of custom pan knobs:

Home > Local Options > Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change > Pan: 2nd (or whatever page you want to gravitate to).

Home > 1st Expand Knob Function: Pan

Attention Presets > Toggle between EQ/Dyn, to Pan for all params accessible

Create a Track Layout and save the Knob Function + Page

Target the Assignable Knob to R Front or other desired parameter.

Settings > User > Knobs > Remember Joystick Knobs by Track (Disable this)

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 03-30-2022, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Custom Pan Maps

+1

I asked about this too when custom plugin maps were introduced.