Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-12-2015, 06:20 PM

Default Eleven rack firmware upgrade limit

I rolled back my eleven rack firmware to 1.3 out of curiosity and to check system stability as PT11 timing was slipping all over the place. Turns out it was the latest drivers on Win7 with my motherboard. When I tried to go back to version 2 there was a message stating 2.0.1 can only be installed once. I remember getting a certain amount of tech help for free as part of the eleven rack package but I have never used it. Who should I contact to remedy this without getting charged?
Old 12-12-2015, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack firmware upgrade limit

The 2.x expansion pack was a paid upgrade, once you do that once the system remembers to stop you doing it again to another Eleven Rack. You may need to contact Avid support to see if they will help you with a new key. You may need to pay to do that if you do not have a current support agreement. Next time ask *before* doing stuff, there is really no need to ever downgrade an Eleven Rack firmware. If your Eleven rack was so old to come with 1.x firmware you certainly do not have free support (or warranty) that still applies to it.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Next time ask *before* doing stuff, there is really no need to ever downgrade an Eleven Rack firmware.
If i did that every time I experimented my knowledge would be very limited; also, it's too late at this point so this statement is not constructive.

My point here is I don't want to pay again for something I already own. I can see why Avid would limit the download to one time for security purposes, but there must be a way to contact them about this without spending more money. It would take them less than 5 minutes.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:31 PM

The statement is constructive in the sense next time you are about to do something possibly destructive try asking first, or look around DUC. There are past discussion here about issues with repeating 2.x firmware updates and licensing issues. You did take a perfectly good working interface and did somethign not expected for users to do and it seems pretty reasonable that Avid could charge you for a support incident to help you fix this. The quickest way to get this fixed will likely be to open a support case (I'd pick Avid Pro Tools support incident for $40) you might be able to talk them into not charging you later, but I'd not hold my breath on that.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
The statement is constructive in the sense next time you are about to do something possibly destructive try asking first, or look around DUC. There are past discussion here about issues with repeating 2.x firmware updates and licensing issues. You did take a perfectly good working interface and did somethign not expected for users to do and it seems pretty reasonable that Avid could charge you for a support incident to help you fix this. The quickest way to get this fixed will likely be to open a support case (I'd pick Avid Pro Tools support incident for $40) you might be able to talk them into not charging you later, but I'd not hold my breath on that.
I appreciate that you are trying to help, but this is not helpful. Do you work for Avid?
Old 12-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Darryl does not work for Avid. He has given you the only answer possible to deal with your self created situation. If you don't like the answer he's given then just stick with the old firmware...they are the 2 choices open to you.

"Experimenting" with Firmware is not common nor good practice so Darryls advice to ask before doing it is sensible.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Darryl does not work for Avid. He has given you the only answer possible to deal with your self created situation. If you don't like the answer he's given then just stick with the old firmware...they are the 2 choices open to you.

"Experimenting" with Firmware is not common nor good practice so Darryls advice to ask before doing it is sensible.
I don't understand the negativity here. Both of you seem to be very willing to speak on behalf of Avid, but neither of you work for them. I'm starting to understand where the bad attitude for Avid's tech support comes from. Fortunately, a gentleman who does work for Avid has contacted me; their tech help seems to be good after all.

I'm sure you're both really great guys and probably have good intent, but I encourage you to consider the benefit of your posts for the person whom you are responding to.

Good Day.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picophone View Post
Both of you seem to be very willing to speak on behalf of Avid, but neither of you work for them.
You obviously haven't been around here long enough to know that Avid very rarely speaks on their own behalf in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You may need to contact Avid support to see if they will help you with a new key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picophone View Post
Fortunately, a gentleman who does work for Avid has contacted me; their tech help seems to be good after all.
So Darryls advice was one of the options taken then.

You'd be wise taking this lesson in "experimenting" with Firmware as a failure.

Good Day

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 12-14-2015 at 08:19 PM.