Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-21-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Unusual Error Message

Hello All,
I've got a Lenovo laptop, 16 gig ram, i7 with Pro Tools 2018.1 So all of a sudden I can't save a session. I'm sorry I can't remember the entire first error, but it said something I think about can't save, disable auto save, something like that.. Darn it. It only came up once.. I've turned everything off twice and now, in the same session when I try to save , this interesting message comes up.. could not save '''' because while saving tracks .... If anyone thinks it's my rig, I'll figure out how to post a Sandra Report, but I don't think that's the issue..At least I hope it isn't. Thank you
Old 03-22-2018, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Unusual Error Message

Not so much a Sandra report is needed but where are you saving your session to? System drive, external drive and if external what type of drive and how is it connected to your computer? How are write permissions set for the session drive? IIRC there's a setting in PT's drive allocation that could affect the ability to write to the session drive.

QAPLA!
Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Hello musicman691. I've got an external drive I save to..It's a Seagate external hard drive, connected per USB hub. I am not sure about how to check for the 'write permissions', but it sounds like something I need to check. I think I remember the word 'permissions' in the first error message. Where would I go to check write permissions, and also drive allocation information? I also wonder what the default settings for both would be? I wouldn't know if I'm looking at data that's wrong since I'm not sure what the default setting would be. Maybe there's a prompt to reset to default? Thanks for replying musicman691. Until this issue, I haven't had any problems saving. I'm perplexed.

Last edited by RichrdC; 03-22-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichrdC View Post
Hello musicman691. I've got an external drive I save to..It's a Seagate external hard drive, connected per USB hub. I am not sure about how to check for the 'write permissions', but it sounds like something I need to check. I think I remember the word 'permissions' in the first error message. Where would I go to check write permissions, and also drive allocation information? I also wonder what the default settings for both would be? I wouldn't know if I'm looking at data that's wrong since I'm not sure what the default setting would be. Maybe there's a prompt to reset to default? Thanks for replying musicman691. Until this issue, I haven't had any problems saving. I'm perplexed.
What kind of Seagate drive? And in what kind of enclosure and what's the connections possible on it? You say it's going to a hub and that's not good - should really be direct to the computer. USB comes in multiple flavors.

As far as drive allocation that's part of PT. It's actually called disc allocation and you get to it via this menu: Setup/Disk Allocation. For the rest consult your manual.

Back to the USB thing - have you disabled all power savings measures on your computer? Whether laptop or desktop Windows by default has the USB ports set to power down after some amount of time which the user cannot set. Go into Windows Control Panel to do the setting. I have the feeling you may not have done all the computer optimizations necessary for PT to work right. Google is your friend on finding the optimizations necessary.

QAPLA!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:39 PM

This is a link of a jpg of the first error message. I tried what is referenced to no avail. I know now this is specific to this one session I've got. Not only that, it's specific to a particular version saved. I am going to optimize this computer this evening. Thanks for the advice.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1521761531
Old 03-23-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
This is a link of a jpg of the first error message. I tried what is referenced to no avail. I know now this is specific to this one session I've got. Not only that, it's specific to a particular version saved. I am going to optimize this computer this evening. Thanks for the advice.

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1521761531
Your attachment comes back as invalid.
You still haven't answered the questions I asked about the external drive, the USB hub and what variation of USB you have. You may not think it's important but it could have a bearing on your issue. Trying to leave no stone unturned.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:07 AM

Hello Musicman691,
I was looking at the Seagate, and I can tell you it isn't a new drive by any stretch and I don't see a model number on it. I'll look closer later today. It's worked great all along. I bought the powered USB hub just a couple months ago when I got the new Laptop. Thanks for the prompts on this stuff. Sorry I can't be more specific at this moment, but I'm sitting at the real job & not up in my studio. I'll try again to post the picture of the error message. I did go through the optimization process that's on the Avid sight, and there were a few changes to be made, so thanks for that advice. Take care
Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM

Do you have any illegal characters in the save path? Like / ? * ???

On a mac you can use any character unless you have enforce PC compatibility checked. If it's not happening on other sessions, that's my guess.

So why don't you open a new session and see if you can save normally on that drive? If you can, it's probably an illegal character somewhere in the path. It could be in any of the nested folder or drive names. Or you can start a new session and then import session data to get your tracks into a fresh session that's not corrupted.

Steve
Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Hello Musicman691,
I was looking at the Seagate, and I can tell you it isn't a new drive by any stretch and I don't see a model number on it. I'll look closer later today. It's worked great all along. I bought the powered USB hub just a couple months ago when I got the new Laptop. Thanks for the prompts on this stuff. Sorry I can't be more specific at this moment, but I'm sitting at the real job & not up in my studio. I'll try again to post the picture of the error message. I did go through the optimization process that's on the Avid sight, and there were a few changes to be made, so thanks for that advice. Take care
As I keep asking: would you please say what exact drive you have (like make & model number) and exactly what type of USB you have. Understand you're at work but when you get home you could post this info. There's no such thing as TMI (too much info) that can be given when asking for help.

QAPLA!