Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-02-2004, 10:54 AM

Default Hardware Buffer

Please accept my apology for not having the error message verbatim. I'm running an MBOX to a Dell Inspirion 1100. When I first got the laptop, it had 256MB of memory, and I kept getting an error that stated something to the tune of, "audio processing is conflicting with other CPU processes. If this continues, try lowering the hardware buffer settings". This was happening whilst recording in a live setting off two Rode NT5's. At the time, PT was totally dogging the laptop, so I upgraded memory.

I'm now running PT on 640MB of memory, and I have noticed drastic improvements in performance. Whilst recording in a live setting last night, I got that error message again. My current settings have the hardware buffer set to 1024. My questions are these:

1) What gets buffered to this space?
2) Is lowering the buffer a good idea? (more is better??)
3) Would more memory be a better solution? Is memory even the issue?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered. I'm sure you picked up on the fact that I am pretty new at this. I'm going to head off to the search tool to see what I can find on the hardware buffer.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Hardware Buffer

It would help a lot if you listed some details about the laptop. Processor type and speed for one, to rule out compatibility issues. If you are recording to the internal drive, that can be a problem as PT demands a 7200 rpm drive while most laptops have 5400 rpm or even 4800 rpm drives. I know it works, but it doesn't work great. Unless you are overdubbing(and need to play in time with existing tracks, set your buffer high as it gives the system more time to do its thing. I think you have enough RAM for modest track counts, but I am confused on how you netted 640 mb.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-05-2004, 08:22 AM

I've had similiar probs with my DIGI002...(Operating System held off interupts for too lon) etc

Try going into DEVICE MANAGER and disabling everything that you don't need. All Network Items PINTER & COM ports. Abosloutely everything that isn't required for running PT. Failing that, right click, MY COMPUTER. Click manage, then go into SERVICES. Disable all non crucial services, ie, network stuff and anything else you see that may not be req for PT. If you're apprehensive to do this...Go to, START-RUN, then type MSCONFIG and create a system restore point prior to stuffing around with any settings you may not know the consequences of. (Whilst in MSCONFIG enviro you can also stop a whole bunch of services form starting up at all by utilising selective startup)

Hope that helps
1 Gig PC2700 Corsair Memory
120 gig Ext USB 2.0
32+14 DaveC PT 6.9
Old 09-05-2004, 08:26 AM

Further to the above post...Generally, I have found it is not always more this and more that. This approach doesn't always make for a better experience. I tend to lean towards Windows XP being the PIG and trying to do too many things whilst PT is running. Stoppng it from doing tbhese things in the first place alows PT to run the way iot was designed to...with the absolute of minimum interuption.
1 Gig PC2700 Corsair Memory
120 gig Ext USB 2.0
32+14 DaveC PT 6.9
Old 09-05-2004, 08:34 AM

If you are recording to an external hard drive then make sure Record Allocation is trimmed back to about 10mins.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 09-26-2004, 08:10 AM

Hi Funkyghoul,

I'm getting the same hardware buffer errors as everyone else, and was wondering: when you disable services as opposed to devices, whether this is limited to the "Pro Tools" hardware profile as opposed to affecting the whole computer. Switching off my hardware devices has helped a bit, but I'd love to turn off as many services as I can as long as it won't affect the rest of my machinge.

Thanks!