Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-04-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Possible to have system sound output set to HD Native while Pro Tools is running?

When Pro Tools HD is open the HD Native isn't an option for system sound output/input so I can't play anything from iTunes, for example, through the monitors. Is there a way to set it up where all audio (Pro Tools and the system) comes through the HD Native?

Thanks guys.
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 12-04-2016, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Possible to have system sound output set to HD Native while Pro Tools is running?

What audio interface are you running?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Possible to have system sound output set to HD Native while Pro Tools is running?

HD Omni with HD Native Thunderbolt
Avid Artist Transport | Genelec 8351b Monitors | Genelec 7360A Subwoofer x2 | Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone
Old 12-04-2016, 04:07 PM

The best solution is to use an optical cable from your Mac output to the optical input on the Omni. Then go into the Hardware Mixer and set it to monitor on your mains. This way you can always play your Mac output through your monitors while you have PT open.

This was the way most people did it before CoreAudio support, and the way I'll continue doing it just because it's more convenient. Of course, if you need your optical ins/outs for another reason you might be SOL
Old 12-04-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Possible to have system sound output set to HD Native while Pro Tools is running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellizzi View Post
The best solution is to use an optical cable from your Mac output to the optical input on the Omni. Then go into the Hardware Mixer and set it to monitor on your mains. This way you can always play your Mac output through your monitors while you have PT open.

This was the way most people did it before CoreAudio support, and the way I'll continue doing it just because it's more convenient. Of course, if you need your optical ins/outs for another reason you might be SOL

This is the way I setup my system on my PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jjnssn; 12-04-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
This is what I do as well. Unless I use a separate interface.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This is what I do as well. Unless I use a separate interface.
+1
Old 12-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Only have Thunderbolt 3/USB-C on the new MacBook Pros :/
Old 12-08-2016, 04:53 PM

I just got Source-Nexus which works like a charm and is even more useful than just routing audio. I highly recommend checking it out!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Yes. That's what we've all been complaining about. Using the optical output from the mac to the optical input is not the same thing as having Core Audio actually work. Is it???

I don't think it is. But maybe you do...

Steve