Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 11-24-2018, 09:59 PM

Default Can these buttons be customized?

Hi folks, I'm a new user to the Dock. Everything seems to be working, but I wanted to know if the "dock left edit" and "dock right edit" buttons can be customized with my own commands. In the settings screen I see that there are open boxes where commands can be put in, but when I insert a command, it will only implement the preset command.

For Example: On the Left Edit keys, the "Write" command, I'll assign it as 'save as,' instead of the 'write' command that is labeled on the button. Isn't it supposed to follow the command that I assign it to?
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can these buttons be customized?

Yes these should be able to be changed, not sure why they are not working for you...I'll double check...
Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 PM

Thank you Eddie. Boy, after using my Artist Control for so long, it's kind of difficult to get use to the Dock. The weighted jog wheel is beautiful, but many times I'm accidentally running my fingers over the touch strips, which defaults to a horizontal zoom function. It's going to be a tough decision.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Avid

I agree about the touch strips but you can also remove those controls from them and put them somewhere else.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:21 AM

Yeah, the touch strips can be a bit crazy, but when you assign the sections of them to other functions, they seem to be a little more well behaved.

Kinda like when we gave our 3 yo kinetic sand for eh first time.
Or when kid 1 landed his first trampoline back flip..

Stick at it... The dock is a completely customisable piece of magic.
I seem to keep adding functions and changing them to suit my workflow, with PT Ult and Logic ProX, which I've used for 20+ years and 15 of them with an MCU.

Eucon has really progressed and the Dock can address pretty much all of it!!
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-24-2019, 01:40 PM

It seem that no matter what I do the Horizontal and Vertical Touchstrips are duplicating my wheel actions. I have nothing in the Touchstrip area in the EUControl settings page. I have tried setting them to different Wheel actions, assigned the 4 sections to other commands etc. Nothing stops them from following whatever action the Wheel is assigned to.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01-01-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Yes these should be able to be changed, not sure why they are not working for you...I'll double check...
Eddie...

I know this is an old question but I was wondering the exact same thing here and can't seem to find an explanation or a how-to. I can reassign the functions of all of the transport controls easily enough but I can't seem to change the "purpose" of the Dock Left Edit buttons.

For example, what I want to do is have the main function of the "Write" button (I never use Write mode) to be entering into Preview Mode. (Yes, I know this is a secondary or ALT function of the same button...but I'd rather have it on the "top level", so to speak.)

Any insights to share?

Big thanks.

Barden
Old 01-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Avid

Greetings,

This can be accomplished by accessing the Soft Keys tab from the EuControl Settings. I've included a few screen shots to assist. The Left Edit section for the Dock is a bit of a unique case. It relies on a dedicated ALT button (instead of Shift) to choose which of the 2 pages you are programming. In the below example I've reprogrammed the top level (page 1) Write button to instead trigger Preview, in addition to reprogramming what was previously Preview (page 2) into the System Usage Window - which relies on the ALT button being enabled to access this layer.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-06-2020, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. I'll have a look at it tonight!

All the best,
Barden
Old 05-05-2020, 10:36 AM

Hi Jeff...

I know, my replies on this are ridiculously slow...very sorry.

Much like the very first post in this thread, I can't change the Page 1 functions of the Dock Edit Left buttons. I mean, I *can* in EuControl Settings (as you've described above with your helpful pictures) but they don't actually trickle down to the software. So "reprogramming" the Write button (a Page 1 function) to enable Preview mode (as was my original query and which constituted your reply) just puts the currently attentioned track into Write mode.

I've tried a variety of different command changes but none seem to hit the software correctly. The programming seems to "stick" in EuControl Settings but the actual functionality doesn't change.

So, I can see that you have made the EuControl changes in your picture above but does that actually put the software into Preview mode, for example?

(BTW, the Page 2 functions are all completely modifiable.)

(Also BTW, my reason for doing this is to get a hardware indicator of the software being in Preview mode. I don't want to have my Automation window open in my software all the time and, frankly, when I'm looking at my hardware while mixing, I don't necessarily want to look up at my screen to see if I'm in Preview mode. If I'm missing another hardware indicator of the software being in Preview, please let me know!)

Thanks again for your help.
Barden