Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-22-2019, 08:41 AM

Default RME Fireface 802 O/P Levels w/ ADAM A7X

Hey All,

New interface, RME Fireface 802 (USB2.0), PT2018.7, WIN10.

The 802 is putting out a much "hotter" output level than my previous APOLLO Twin interface. I monitor at @82dB

I'm experimenting with different methods to get an optimal (lower) playback level between my Fireface 802 and ADAM A7X speakers.

RME suggests using an in-line attenuator on my monitor outputs - but that would be my last choice.

Here are a few different things I've tried. They all work to bring down the eventual listening level to @82dB which works for me in my room (and with my ears).

Which of these would be the preferred way to lower the overall listening level, while minimizing degradation of (or causing the least damage to) the final output signal (all DAW meters set to RMS, and RME's meters set to RMS+3; balanced Mogami TRS out of 802, balanced XLR into ADAM A7X):

Note: RME uses Total Mix software which adds an extra layer of channels for SOFTWARE PLAYBACK - the signals coming back from the DAW.

#1: Turn down the ADAM's master volume knob from 12 o'clock (0dB unity gain) to between 8 and 9 o'clock. Leave my DAWs Master O/P, Total Mix's Software Playback AN1/2, and Control Room AN1/2 at 0dB, +4dBu on the 802 output level.

#2: Leave the ADAM's master volume at 12 o'clock (0dB unity gain). Turn down my DAW's Master O/P level to -10dB. All Total Mix levels at 0dB, +4dBu output level.

#3: Leave the ADAM's master volume at 12 0'clock (0dB unity gain). Leave my DAW's Master O/P level at 0dB. Turn down Total Mix's Software Playback AN1/2 level to -10dB. Leave Control Room AN1/2 levels at 0dB, +4dBu output level.

#4: Leave the ADAM's master volume at 12 0'clock (0dB unity gain). Leave my DAW's Master O/P level at 0dB. Leave Total Mix's Software Playback AN1/2 level at 0dB. Turn down Total Mix's Control Room AN1/2 level to -10dB. +4dBu output level.

#5: Leave the ADAM's master volume at 12 0'clock (0dB unity gain). Leave my DAWs Master O/P, Total Mix's Software Playback AN1/2, and Control Room AN1/2 at 0dB, but change the 802's output level from +4dBu to -10dBV.

All of the above will lower the final output level to a more comfortable listening level for me.

I suppose "whichever way sounds better to you" is a valid response, but given all the concerns about "reducing the bit length of the audio signal" etc., I'd just like to hear an "audio engineering in the digital world" point of view.

Thanks,
Danny V.