Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0.3: a developers perspective....

Thanx for your insights, Bob. Nice to hear from the guys with their hands dug in it. And to know that as users yourselves, you can understand the issues of those of us who use the products to earn their living. I believe you aren't sitting on your hands. I as well as many others here appreciate PT for what it brings to the table, and choose to focus on how good it is rather than its shortcomings as ultimately they are out-weighted by its quality. While I know there are some bugs(fortunately zero that are affecting me), I am enjoying a smooth ride with PT8. Just as I did with 7.4...

Kudos, and Merry Christmas...

Need mixes, mastering, guitar, keyboard or bass parts added to your tracks? Need custom songs/music written and produced for special occasions? Check out The Soundz Shop. Great work by pros with multi-platinum experience at excellent prices...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTheone View Post
Avid/Digidesign's problems are no different than Ableton, Propellerheads, Steinberg, Motu, Cockos etc...
This is one thing that keeps coming up - comparing Pro Tools to those other DAW manufacturers.

I think this is an incorrect comparison because we are different than other DAWs. None of them have to support TDM hardware, nor do they have nearly the number of hardware and software products that we do. As the product line grows, so does the complexity. Top that off with the fact that our engine is different than any other DAW and it puts us in a category on our own.

This is not meant as an excuse - after working here for as long as I have, I understand now why things are the way they are. The test grids and complexity is enormous - I just can't imagine other DAWs have nearly the amount of testing necessary that we do. Most other DAWs aren't even cross-platform and the ones that are use standard OS supported drivers (ASIO, WDM, Core Audio) for their primary interfacing, reducing the complexity and scope of their compatibility testing needs.

Again - no excuse, but I did want to say something in the hopes that there may be a bit more understanding about what we're doing here.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned

An end User/Consumers perspective (vocal minority).............

You're right; none of them have to support TDM; Avid choses to do this. This is definitely the one thing that sets you apart from the others.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what all these great changes are that we're in store for.

Propellerheads, Ableton and Cockos are at the forefront of my studio right now, I've come to a point where i'm just not spending any more money on Avid products until I see a non restricted native version of protools. I actually have money to spend; I sat out the whole upgrade to HD special that Avid was offering. I love Avid's software; but hate it's restrictions and it's ties to proprietary hardware...........
Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the post Bob.

I will just say that growth in companies come from research and development. Some make good products and some not so good. I just wish the left hand (3rd party plugs) knew what the right hand (DIGI) were doing and worked more collectively. It seems like when anything new comes out we have to wait many months for it to "settle down" but are enticed with the "new stuff" just to get us to buy for the company to grow (no service after the sell so to speak).

My advice that I live by is this, I would rather do one at a time great than 20 things at a time "ok". Maybe you just need to step back as a company and divide and conquer. Maybe you are doing this but without communication what other means do we have to use as a benchmark for our purchases? Why would anyone buy something they are told works then it doesn't and then you have no recourse but to eat it.

Here is my suggestion (I don't want to come with a problem without a solution).

Just talk to us more and don't ignore us. I can take someone telling me that it won't work for 6 months if i know for sure on the first day of the seventh month I am good to go. Timing is everything. We base our rates on time. We schedule our business based on time. We base our purchases on timely knowlege.

Communicate more like you just did.

Merry Christmas and have a happy new year.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
None of them have to support TDM hardware
Drop it. It has no use except for an excuse these days.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 AM

You can tell that Digi really needs to go "native" because of the massive move to those other apps....

Oh right that didn't happen, hmm. Maybe Digi actually has a better grip on what the market is than individual users do? WOW what a concept.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego View Post
Drop it. It has no use except for an excuse these days.
You may *think* so, but for post houses, production stages and broadcast you'd probably be surprised. There are features in Pro Tools that no other applications have.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
You can tell that Digi really needs to go "native" because of the massive move to those other apps....

Oh right that didn't happen, hmm. Maybe Digi actually has a better grip on what the market is than individual users do? WOW what a concept.
I agree... digi has always kind of done their own thing not really chasing anyone else's tail. And it's a big factor as to why they are the industry leader today.

As Bob mention in the first post in this thread, Digi is a company of musicians that make software. Some of their competitors (who shall remain nameless) are MBAs that see the music industry as a big money-maker. And because of that they go out and HIRE engineers to write the software that aren't necessarily musicians, composers, producers, etc.

So these "other" companies resort to eye candy and useless new features as ways to attract new business. And when digi comes out with a new feature that is really useful, other developers quickly try to follow suit... but nobody at these other big companies are coming up with these great new workflows...they are just following what their competition has already done.

I for one hope digi keeps doing what they have been doing and not start falling into the whole "chasing everyone else's tail" business model. Keep up the good work guys... and once some of the new products Digi has been working on start rolling out, all these people who are supposedly jumping ship to other DAWs will come back. And another cycle of EVERY OTHER DAW trying to mimic Digi's new "thing" will happen all over again.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 12-23-2009, 01:15 PM

Thats a lovely sentiment, but in my experience musicians aren't always the sharpest tools in the box
Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Thank you Bob!
We all know the efforts you all do to keep things going.
But from my point of view (that of a mix engineer running a studio) I would like to know more about a release BEFORE I install it and go trough a number of little problems. And the great thing about this forum is that we can exchange knowledge between us users and you programmers. I don't even remember how many years are passed since I started using pro tools and not a single moment I regret my choice. But still I need a system working properly. For me you can slow down innovation if that gives me more stability. And I find frustrating not being able to use a certain way of working because a plug in is not anymore available or updated properly so please go on and do your work to support us. Some times ago Macs were the choice of the professionals because there was only a small number of configurations available so if you could get one of them It'll work. Just out of the box. I consider Digidesign the best company only because of that. Please keep on and God bless you all!
Merry Christmas!
Max
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA