Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Using Boom, having trouble with half-speed

This is an embarrassingly tiny problem, but:

I've started experimenting with virtual instruments, and I want to use Boom for a song. What I've noticed is that the beat automatically syncs to the tempo of my current project, which is great. However, when I try using the "X 1/2" speed function, the beat starts synchronizing on the second measure of my project, instead of measure 1. Since half-speed beets are two measures long, I'm always off by a measure.

....of course, I could just drag the rest of my MIDI and audio clips 4 beats forward or backward if I wanted and that would make it sync up. Which means I'm really making a mountain out of a molehill. But the OCD part of me wants to keep the sections of my song starting on measures 1, 9, 17, etc., thus lining up with the dark blue lines on the grid.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need to smack my OCD upside the head and just move my clips?
Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Using Boom, having trouble with half-speed

I had a similar problem with BOOM yesterday. It was inserted on the second slot, with another latency-inducing plugin before it. Seems Pro Tools couldn't handle that, and BOOM played completely out of sync.

Now, this is not something I'd usually do, so best to always put VI plugins in the first slot. But it shows the mechanism in Pro Tools that feeds the transport / beat clock data to the plugins is fundamentally flawed.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Using Boom, having trouble with half-speed

Mine was already in the first slot, and switching it to other slots doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll do the un-beautiful fix of moving my music to sync to the beat instead of the other way around, but, yeah that's weird.