Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Consolidating files without using 'Save Copy In'

Hey everyone,

I am having some issues with a Pro Tools session that won't 'save copy in' without crashing. Even when I try creating a new session using 'import session data' it crashes... and I'm tired... and I'm over it... and I have done what I need to do plus extra... and I just need to hand all the files and session back.

Does anyone know of a way of consolidating all of the audio in a session into one place without using the save copy in function? I'm not hugely familiar with the workspace functions. Is there something in there that will allow me to move everything over, or even just identify where the files are on my system?

Haaaalp.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Consolidating files without using 'Save Copy In'

Likely not to be your issue but I'll note two Save Copy In related bugs were fixed in 2018.10.

Maybe more importantly (and related to those) is I would go into the session and check exactly where all the audio files really are, none hiding in funky places, removable media, FAT-32 drives etc. Move them into the session folder, maybe manually and relinking them. Ideally if doing brain surgery copy all the stuff to another drive and do the experimental brain surgery there. You might also end up wanting to make sure each audio file can play in the Workspace Browser or outside of Pro Tools.

The Workspace Browser in Pro Tools is where you start with wrangling the session content. There are tutorials online or the Pro Tools Reference Guide also shows how to use Reliink from there to move/relink content.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-04-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 AM

Set your current HD as 'transfer' in the workspace.
Set another HD as 'record' and create a blank session on it. (Same file format and tc start)
Import the tracks of the session. It should copy and make new files.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM

Maybe if you describe what the end goal is, there might be different advice.

If you really mean "consolidate", that's a function of highlighting all the audio on any given track and hitting the Consolidate function, either in the EDIT menu, or with the keyboard command(Shift+Alt+3 on Windows). That should happen within your session and doesn't require saving a copy. Once you consolidate all your tracks, you can choose to clear out the CLIPS bin of unused files. Or, highlight all your consolidated audio and(from the CLIPS bin) Export Clips as Files(this would be a good method for getting your audio files for import to another DAW(if this is the goal, consolidate all tracks back to zero in the timeline).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 AM

Is there any documentation on the "Move and Relink" command in the workspace?