Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 02-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Default Aux Inputs and Latency Compensation - something's not right.

Hi

I'm having serious problems getting delay compensation to work correctly on Aux Inputs, specifically where there is a plugin which is receiving realtime MIDI information.

The ProTools manual states clearly that in order to compensate for latency correctly in this situation, the user should disable latency compensation on the Aux channels in question, and then manually enter the system delay into the user offset field.

When I do this, the audio plays late (quite significantly). When I don't do this, the audio plays early.

Can anyone confirm this issue, or advise on a workaround?

Many thanks

Jules
Old 02-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Aux Inputs and Latency Compensation - something's not right.

I can confirm same when bringing external HW Moog Audio into PT 11.1.2. My work around (not pretty) is to record a Virtual Synth (Arturia Moog) Audio using same MIDI onto a second audio track, then time align manually the HW Moog with that.

It does appear as if there are ADC and latency issues (unrelated) that need to be ironed out in PT11.

(sigh)
DSP & IO : Pro Tools HDX2(2018.3), 2x UAD Octo, HDIO 16x16 Analog IO(3), HDIO 16x16 Digital IO
Plugins: Avid, DMG Audio, Kush, oeksound, P'n'T, Plugin Alliance, Softube, SoundTheory, Sonnox, Sound Radix, SoundToys, UAD, VEP, etc
Hardware: API, Chandler, Hardy, Moog, Neve, Shadow Hills, Smart, Summit, TC Electronic M6000, UREI, etc
Microphones: Telefunken, Neumann, Shure, AKG
Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treason View Post
I can confirm same when bringing external HW Moog Audio into PT 11.1.2. My work around (not pretty) is to record a Virtual Synth (Arturia Moog) Audio using same MIDI onto a second audio track, then time align manually the HW Moog with that.

It does appear as if there are ADC and latency issues (unrelated) that need to be ironed out in PT11.

(sigh)
So many ADC issues in PT11. It doesn't work right with multi out VIs or Offline bounce.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:23 PM

The ADC bugs in PT11 have forced me go back to PT10, which is like trying to stand up in room with a 5 foot ceiling (32bit limits)
Better yet I've gone back to using Cubase and loving it.
Thank goodness I kept up to date with Cubase 7.5
Hey, if it's good enough for Hans Zimmer...
Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 AM

What's strange is, whenever I post about something that looks like it's a bug, others confirm it, and there is deafening silence from the mods or anybody connected with Avid.

Same thing happened when I posted here about MTC sync not working correctly. I posted details to Ideascale as well - not a dickybird.

Are we supposed to pay for support cases in order to report, flag, and get clarifiication on bugs? These are serious issues that affect the working porefessional's ability to operate, yet there is no flow of information between Avid and it's user-base, unless that user-base pays to connect with them.

Something's not right.

Jules
Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
Hi

I'm having serious problems getting delay compensation to work correctly on Aux Inputs, specifically where there is a plugin which is receiving realtime MIDI information.

The ProTools manual states clearly that in order to compensate for latency correctly in this situation, the user should disable latency compensation on the Aux channels in question, and then manually enter the system delay into the user offset field.

When I do this, the audio plays late (quite significantly). When I don't do this, the audio plays early.

Can anyone confirm this issue, or advise on a workaround?

Many thanks

Jules
Hi,

I can confirm. And no - I haven't found a good workaround beside recording stuff from external AudioSources (like HW-Synths) and nudge the recorded audio til it's "in the groove" again ...
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

I can confirm. And no - I haven't found a good workaround beside recording stuff from external AudioSources (like HW-Synths) and nudge the recorded audio til it's "in the groove" again ...
Thanks Steff. Good to know it's a confirmed bug.

I can't bounce unfortunately, because ProTools is responding to realtime automation coming from Logic on a different system, so I need delay compensation to work correctly.

I'll raise a support case with Avid as soon as I have time for this and the MTC sync issue you were kind enough to help with. I'm sick of waiting for Avid.

Jules
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
Thanks Steff. Good to know it's a confirmed bug.

I can't bounce unfortunately, because ProTools is responding to realtime automation coming from Logic on a different system, so I need delay compensation to work correctly.

I'll raise a support case with Avid as soon as I have time for this and the MTC sync issue you were kind enough to help with. I'm sick of waiting for Avid.

Jules
Well, "at the moment" im printing everything what's external to ProTool's AudioTracks and nudge them to have external sounds proper playing.
That's the only way "I think" to be sure that all tracks are "in the groove".

Never had those problems with TDM and PT10 ... at least I have not remarked that something was out of timing.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM

I am experiencing this issue, and one which may be related and it's a real PITA. I too have had to use my midi tracks to output midi to an external synth and record that to an audio track...but I have found that if I turn off ADC during the print the tracks seems sync'd...

The issue I have that seems related is this: I like to use Superior Drummer 2 without printing it's tracks to audio and sending it's mixer outs to corresponding aux inputs. It works fine until I put a send on the aux track, for some verb or room on say the snare track. That track will be significantly delayed. Very workflow hostile.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM

The problem with printing tracks is that you can't do that until the very end of the writing process. In the meantime, how do you write and mix, with half your tracks out of time?

I spend half my time tweaking manual delay offsets on all the tracks which a re affected by MIDI automation, because whenever a plugin is added or removed on the tracks in quesation, or on any other tracks, such that it affects overall system delays, or delays on a specific bus or group, you have to change all the manual offsets to reflect the changes.

It's a major PITA to the point where in some sessions which are heavily automated, it becomes almost unworkable.

Sorry to rant, but AVID really need to start taking these issues more seriously, engaging with their users, many of whom have invested tens of thousands in their products, in order to get things running smoothly. This simply isn't good enough.

Jules