Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Default Opinions of softsampler for TV audio post facility

We're weighing up the options between Kontakt and Structure (full version) for sound effects/manipulation for TV audio post. Structure is ilok and Kontakt is ID stamped per machine, right?

Has anyone had issues with multi-user log-in's creating problems with Kontakt when moving from room to room? In terms of stability, performance and support does one product stand out? We need an interface that's intuitive and easy to use for first-time soft sampler users.

Based on past experience, which option is likely to give us better legacy stability when a session is restored years down the line?

Tigerfeet

SETUP:

iMac 27 Quad i7
16MB RAM
Pro Tools HD 11.3
Apogee Duet 2
Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Opinions of softsampler for TV audio post facility

I can't answer all of your questions, but I will say that Kontakt is an incredible plug in. The amount of third party sample libraries available is huge. Company's like Tonehammer, Soniccouture, Project Sam, Sample Logic and loads more make incredible stuff for Kontakt, especially for film and television. The factory Library is good, but it's all of the other stuff that's available that attracted me to Kontakt.

I run it in Protools le 8.0.4, and it's very stable. The built in effects are quite good. I do wish there was a more detailed delay, but the rest is very impressive, especially the convolution reverb.

I realize I probably didn't answer the most important questions, but I couldn't resist raving about Kontakt. I've used Structure free a bit. I didn't really like the interface and from what I remember there wasn't a lot of third party stuff made for Structure and I wasn't impressed with the stuff that I heard. I also used MachFive for a while, which I would not recommend. It ran horribly on protools, and they haven't updated it for well over two years.

If Kontakt meets your other requirements, I say it's the one to buy.

Hope this helps -
Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM

FYI, Kontakt and all other Native Instruments plugins are not Ilok, but serial number. One license allows installation on up to 3 computers.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:28 AM

+1 for Kontakt.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfeet View Post
In terms of stability, performance and support does one product stand out?

We need an interface that's intuitive and easy to use for first-time soft sampler users.

Based on past experience, which option is likely to give us better legacy stability when a session is restored years down the line?
My background is only with Structure, which I've used weekly for going on 5 years now. WRT stability, performance & support, I'd definitely suggest you go the Kontakt route.
AIR, who makes Structure, has been pretty flakey IMO wrt their workflows, updates, and support in general. My background is as a guitarist, and Structure serves my (rather small) needs wrt composing, but it's definitely a semi-pro product when it comes to the above stated needs.

It's fairly intuitive, has good samples - although fairly limited in 3rd party "gleanings" - and integrates well with Pro Tools, but if I was relying on it for the daily needs/pressures of professional film/tv work, I'd shoot myself in the head.

YMMV.

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 01-31-2020, 10:54 AM

For simplicity. UVI workstation.
It’s also free so your users can learn on there own systems.

I am also a Structure and Kontakt User.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docric View Post
My background is only with Structure, which I've used weekly for going on 5 years now. WRT stability, performance & support, I'd definitely suggest you go the Kontakt route.
AIR, who makes Structure, has been pretty flakey IMO wrt their workflows, updates, and support in general. My background is as a guitarist, and Structure serves my (rather small) needs wrt composing, but it's definitely a semi-pro product when it comes to the above stated needs.

It's fairly intuitive, has good samples - although fairly limited in 3rd party "gleanings" - and integrates well with Pro Tools, but if I was relying on it for the daily needs/pressures of professional film/tv work, I'd shoot myself in the head.

YMMV.

I have to agree. Structure as a program is a very good sample program. Its easy to use, has a lot of great features and all the rest. However, AIR, seems to have all but abandon its users. If I recall, the last actual update (let alone upgrade) for Structure (or any of their other plugs) was almost 3 years ago! This despite repeated requests for various features and fixes. Even though I've never used Kontakt, I'd say in the end you'd be happier because they have better service, by all accounts.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:37 AM

I use Kontakt, cause of all the third party libraries i own. (Spitfire and more)... But with every Version Kontakt will be more and more a sample player. (cutting features of previous versions like the database for example)...

There are alternatives... For using a softsampler for Synth purposes, Halion is my first choice, cause of the great Syntht,FX and editing features...
A friend of mine is a huge fan of Mach 5 from Motu...

I also have Struture and its easy to use, but as mentioned before...
Now Air is part of InMusic and lost... I think the last thing the released was Loom 2...
Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 AM

As others have said, Kontakt over Structure - open system means others can develop sound libraries for it and NI is actively updating the plugin. I own the AIR Pro Tools Instrument expansion pack and service is painful, and there haven't been updates in years. It's a closed system.

Other one to look at which I had been using is IK Multimedia's SampleTank 4, which I upgraded from SampleTank2 and then 3. Not as many library options, but worth looking at. Works rock solid on Catalina in PT 2019.12.

I uninstalled Structure after upgrading to SampleTank4 and haven't looked back. The other benefit is an easier user interface, and ability to dig under the hood if you really want to.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 02-19-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
I use Kontakt, cause of all the third party libraries i own. (Spitfire and more)... But with every Version Kontakt will be more and more a sample player. (cutting features of previous versions like the database for example)...
Actually the database is back in in Kontakt 6. NI added it back in sometime last year after enough people got ticked off.

QAPLA!