Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Ummet Ozcan's Genesis Pro is Coming

One of the first VST VI's I ever used was called Genesis. Created by producer/DJ Ummet Ozcan, it was one of the nicest sounding free VSTs out there. We started hearing rumors that he was working on a "Pro" version. Well, 8 years later, its finally here. Based on the First Look video, it look like Genesis Pro is a monster sound designers VI. You can find a full list of features here.

It does look like it will only be VST. And he plans to sell it for the whopping price of 1 Euro ($1 US I suspect). Not sure what that will mean in terms of future updates/upgrades, or if there will be some other "catch"...though I doubt it. Regardless, it does look to be a real fine VI with some great features. I for one am looking forward to trying it. For $1 what do you have to lose?

Old 02-06-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Ummet Ozcan's Genesis Pro is Coming

Total BS that they did a PC version ONLY in 2020! Whatta Noob Tool! Tha ks but No Thanks! Soo many other Way better VI that actually works and doesn’t sound 3 years too late. That guy has no idea it’s 2020 already and EDM is dying a slow painful death!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-07-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Total BS that they did a PC version ONLY in 2020! Whatta Noob Tool! Tha ks but No Thanks! Soo many other Way better VI that actually works and doesn’t sound 3 years too late. That guy has no idea it’s 2020 already and EDM is dying a slow painful death!

Well, maybe EDM is dying a slow painful death as you say, but music production isn't. But I don't think any instrument is 3 years too late...or any amount of years too late.

I agree its a shame he didn't build it on a different platform that would allow for all formats, vst, au, aax etc. But that doesn't mean that it won't sound good or be very programmable, which it appears it will be. Obviously we won't know until we see it and play around with it. It just looks like it will be a fun VI to play with.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:19 AM

I agree for people who want yet another tweek VI for soundscapes but not for us and we have tried it IRL as a DJ friend of ours has been testing for a few years now and it sounds old and the same as all those EDM style VI. Soo many better options like you have Dune and Omnisphere etc.

But for $1 it can suck ass and still have only one sound and it would be worth it.

The guy is worth 120 million USD so he definitely didn’t make it to get ”rich”

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-07-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I agree for people who want yet another tweek VI for soundscapes but not for us and we have tried it IRL as a DJ friend of ours has been testing for a few years now and it sounds old and the same as all those EDM style VI. Soo many better options like you have Dune and Omnisphere etc.

But for $1 it can suck ass and still have only one sound and it would be worth it.

The guy is worth 120 million USD so he definitely didn’t make it to get ”rich”

Really? He has that high a net worth? Wow?

Yeah, Dune 3 is one of very favorite VIs. That and Serum and Ominsphere and falcon 2 make quite the quartet! I find Dune so easy to make and create patches with. They almost just fall out of it! Falcon is a bit more complicated, but does some great stuff!

Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's synthmaker or synthedit which is PC only.

Remember a lot of these sound designers aren't programmers so they use something to put the blocks together that has already had the programming done.

Just a guess.

Otherwise zero excuse.

Really though, who cares.. we can already do anything we want in VI's.. I didn't hear anything I can't replicate elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:18 PM

I just watched the video, definitely looks like synthedit to me.

https://www.synthedit.com

That answers that. There will never be a mac version.

Edit, no, synthedit is still windows only but can spit out AU and mac VST3.

I must be tripping as I really don't care for the patches shown so far at all.. maybe everyone else raving about it in youtube are right and I am wrong.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:04 AM

TNM Yeah Thanks. I think he used something that only works with PC as you say, these guys aren’t programmers by trade so the easiest steps possible for maximum return.

He showed a screen that looked like Synthedit but there are a few other containers that are windows only and thats probably what he used.

And as you say it is 2020 and if he spent 8 years on it he might have used people who knows this and could do both VST and AU so atleast we could use Bluecat or similar to use in Live and PT etc.

Hope he gets a Mac version but as I said to us there are many other VI that does the trick and that works on both platforms.

Thanks for the synthedit link. Looks like a sunday check for me hehe

Move those kind of websites to understand ”some” of what goes into making these VI

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-16-2020, 12:38 PM

So, I spent the $1.35 or so U.S. to get this thing because I was curious. The first iteration of Genesis from Ummet Ozcan came out a few years back and it really did sound great...nice, fat, gritty sounds. So, when he hinted that a "Pro" version was forthcoming, I was interested. That was about 5-6 years ago.

Fast forward to this week and its finally here. Well, what a disappointment. Besides all the downsides already mentioned - 32bit VST only, Windows Only, etc, it really doesn't have any unique sounding features on it. I could overlook the format limitations if it sounded really, really spectacularly great...but it doesn't. It sounds just okay to moderately good. I'm not saying is sounds crappy, that would be unfair. But it lacks the punch and pizazz I was anticipating given how long its been in development. Oh, there's one or two nice sounding patches of course...that's true with almost all VI's. But even when I tried designing a new sound, I just couldn't get to anything satisfying...it sounded like 100 other VI's.

In short, for those who are on limited budgets, or want something simple and entry level, this might serve okay as part of a "starter" kit. But, for serious level playing and sound design, look elsewhere. I'm underwhelmed, I'm sorry to say.

Old 03-16-2020, 02:11 PM

Pretty much what we felt too. ”Bought” it for a dollar .75c and tried on a laptop PC gaming Monster and kept playing with it for an hour tops then said bye bye.

Gave it to my sister and she can use it on her demos to us. Nothing we dont have way better VI for.

Thanks for the detailed post Donald

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————