Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Premiere MXF-Op1a workflow to Pro Tools

Recently our facility moved away from Media Composer and is now editing picture on Adobe Premiere Pro. One of the reasons for doing this was the ability to edit with MXF-Op1a files directly from the MAM. When we were editing with MC, video files from the MAM went to transfer manager and were converted to OP-ATOM for use in MC which also made it possible for our Pro Tools rooms to import an AAF from Media Composer referencing the same files from ISIS storage. Now when we export an AAF from Premiere we have to wait for Adobe Media Encoder to break out the audio from the OP1A files. This takes FOREVER. Does anyone have a similar workflow that can suggest Best Practices?
Old 03-14-2020, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Premiere MXF-Op1a workflow to Pro Tools

Hi Tom,

at our facility we use Premiere several years now.
For a short export the editors send us an 8 channel WAV from Premiere along with the rendered mxf video in which are the same 8 mono channels.
For better mixing possibility we order an AAF file instead of the 8 ch. WAV.
Inside the AAF are only the premiere audio tracks.

Hope that helps.

regards

Jochen
Old 03-14-2020, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Premiere MXF-Op1a workflow to Pro Tools

That's tough.... You're able to work with the OP1a files directly in Premiere but Pro Tools of course refuses to touch them. So instead of conversion on the front end you're doing it on the export. And it has to go through Media Encoder. Not sure there is a an easy way around it is there?

Is it possible to tell Premiere to media manage just the audio? To WAV. Then export a referenced AAF pointing to those files? Just thinking out loud, I have no idea if that's possible. Well I don't know that it's possible and I don't know that I would be any different. I wonder if exporting from Audition would make a difference.