Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-22-2018, 07:20 PM

Default Install Pro Tools 11 trial and Pro Tools First?

I am new to this. I cannot find out how to post a new thread.
The layout of this website completely confuses me.

I want to find out if I can load a trial version of Pro Tools 11, while running the ProTools First that I already have. How do I do that? Thank you.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Install Pro Tools 11 trial and Pro Tools First?

Please see How to Join & Post (linked above).

Pro Tools 11 and Pro Tools First have different system requirements, see:
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Problem with trying to Purchase products

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioninjachick View Post
I am new to this. I cannot find out how to post a new thread.
The layout of this website completely confuses me.

I want to find out if I can load a trial version of Pro Tools 11, while running the ProTools First that I already have. How do I do that? Thank you.
Why do you want Pro Tools 11? It's very old. Avid should have removed that old free trial. It makes no sense to still have it lying around.

Current Pro Tools 2018.1 (with new year naming) is kinda Pro Tools 13.

You can rent Pro Tools 2018.1 monthly to try it out, there is no free trial.... except that won't help you with Avid store credit card problems... one solution to that is go to Sweetwater.com and purchase a monthly Pro Tools subscription (which will get you a license for 2018.1). Their store won't have the same problem and they have live support folks to talk or email with for free. The Avid Store has had this same problem in the past with credit cards more unusual territories, I'm sure Avid will fix it for you if you can wait.

You need to work out if any of this software is compatible with your current computer, especially the OS version. Up the top of this and every DUC web page under the Additional Resources link are product compatibility matricies and release notes for 2018.1. (or just google for those). You need to read those carefully and work out if what you have is compatible or not.

And.. if you are using Pro Tools First Cloud for collaboration, Pro Tools 11 does not provide that feature, and cannot open Pro Tools First online projects.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM

Thanks Daryl, advice much appreciated. I will try that Sweetwater thing.

Quite honestly if the 'World-and-his-Wife' weren't using ProTools I wouldn't go within 100 miles of the damn programme. Its clunky and so far I hate it. The audio pros I know who've worked for BBC call it 'Slow Tools' - now I've tried to use it, I can see why!

Cheers,
Audioninjachick
Old 02-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Quite honestly if the 'World-and-his-Wife' weren't using ProTools I wouldn't go within 100 miles of the damn programme. Its clunky and so far I hate it. The audio pros I know who've worked for BBC call it 'Slow Tools' - now I've tried to use it, I can see why!

Cheers,
Audioninjachick
Ah. I think you should give it time. All of us can list many thing wrong with Pro Tools or like to complain about Avid. But the software is really quite nice, especially for audio tracking and mixing. It has more competition in the composing and virtual instruments space. Since mid way though Pro Tools 12 Avid seems to be doing better than they have with issues, there were lots of issues caused by the disruptive changes to plugin formats and going 64-bit in Pro Tools 11.

Pro Tools has always been demanding and fussy about systems specs and being properly set up. Be sure to follow the Pro Tools Installation Guide (yes it's own separate install manual... findable online with Google) when installing Pro Tools and to carefully do all the optimization steps documented there.

Be careful that if you are after "world and wife" compatibility that is usually done via Pro Tools sessions (not online projects) and Pro Tools First does not support sessions, just online projects.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Wise words, Darryl, wise words. You are right, I am finding the tracking & mixing really quite nice. Its always painful learning a new program, when one is used to something else.

I will try & be persistent.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Wise words, Darryl, wise words. You are right, I am finding the tracking & mixing really quite nice. Its always painful learning a new program, when one is used to something else.

I will try & be persistent.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
What program are you coming from? If we know that then we might be able to help better. Quite a few people are coming over from Sonar since that program has become abandonware and finding some features just don't translate over.

There's a LOT of third party learning material put there for PT. Groove Three has some good stuff that's pay-for. And of course there's always YouTube. Some of it's good, some would have been better off not being posted but you'll quickly be able to sort the mess out. This is one of those times where 'Google is your friend' is more than a throwaway slogan.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Hey Thanks Jack,
I just had a response from AVID help desk - turns out PT11 does not run on Windows 10 - THAT would explain it then! Wish it just had ONE short sentence on the download page that said that : )
Diane
Old 02-23-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Hey Thanks Jack,
I just had a response from AVID help desk - turns out PT11 does not run on Windows 10 - THAT would explain it then! Wish it just had ONE short sentence on the download page that said that : )
Diane
If you had given us system info at the beginning we could have answered this much quicker for you. There's no such thing as giving TMI (too much information) when asking for help here. It makes your life easier and it makes our life a lot easier when helping out.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Cheers,
Audioninjachick
they obviously never took the time to really learn the key commands as that's what PT is all about. It can do basic editing functions quicker than any other DAW, as well as more advanced stuff being right on the main page, no seperate editors. Slow tools? LOL more like those bbc users are slow FOOLS!