Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Default Dante virtual sound card and PT

Hi,

is anyone using the Dante virtual sound card with PT HD (obviously in native mode) to cable PT directly to a Dante-capable monitoring processor?

If yes is it possible to get more than 8 outs to Dante from PT HD? Thinking of expanding beyond 7.1 to "mini-atmos".

I'm thinking of simplifying my studio cabling and move to Dante for better scalability without the need to squeeze yet another snake into my cable-tunnels.

Any experience you can share?

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Dante virtual sound card and PT

I was actually wondering the same thing! I think the idea of using dante, AVB or AES67 is pretty great.

What kind of dante/avb/aes 67 monitoring processors are there out there at the moment? Just to simplify even more, do any have any sort of monitoring control?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postprosound View Post
I was actually wondering the same thing! I think the idea of using dante, AVB or AES67 is pretty great.

What kind of dante/avb/aes 67 monitoring processors are there out there at the moment? Just to simplify even more, do any have any sort of monitoring control?
Dante seems to be by far the most common format and seems to be very easy to set up. You need special AVB-switches for AVB afaik and there are not many supporters that offer AVB hardware but on the other hand AVB is an open source format. They says it's more difficult to setup in terms of network-achitechture. Dante has been around for quite some time and there are tons of products to chose from.

AES67 seems to be the future but is still very young and they only have started to promote it end of last year.

And especially the DVS seem like a very clever driver to plug directly into a Dante infrastructure.

The idea to replace those miles of AES/analog snakes with a bunch of ethernet cables is quite tempting.

I am currently looking at the Xilica Neutrino series which can be freely configured and tailored with EQ, Delay, sub-mixer etc. etc. and has an iPad controller app which can also be tailored to your needs. Basically it's fully modular and has 16 analogue outs. All the other dedicated speaker controllers only do 5.1 or 7.1 maximum and are not really much cheaper or at least as expensive.

It seems to fill the gap between very pricey systems like QSYS, Soundweb etc.

But I'm open to other suggestions.

Frank.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 PM

Hello!

I´m running PT HD 11 and DVS. You get 32 inputs and 32 outputs into the Dante network from PT. It works very well.

-Klosse
Old 03-19-2016, 11:12 AM

Wow, that xilica box is really great. Here in the US, i'd have to get the UNO. But, that seems exceptional.

Does anyone have any experience with these boxes? Where can i get a good price?
Old 03-20-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klosse View Post
Hello!

I´m running PT HD 11 and DVS. You get 32 inputs and 32 outputs into the Dante network from PT. It works very well.

-Klosse
Thanks Klosse, that sounds good.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Wow, that xilica box is really great. Here in the US, i'd have to get the UNO. But, that seems exceptional.

Does anyone have any experience with these boxes? Where can i get a good price?
I wonder why the Neutrino isn't available in the US. It's more capable. The Unos only have analog I/O plus dante. But not AES and also the Unos only have pre-designed dsp apps. The Neutrinos are completely adjustable.

But yes, they are very capable and if you do not need the endless modularity of the QSYS (or similar) it's quite a bit less expensive.

Seems like a great monitor controller option of you don't need a full blown QSYS but want some more scalability and flexibility that goes beyond the off-the-shelf surround "volume knobs" that usually end with 8 outs.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I wonder why the Neutrino isn't available in the US. It's more capable. The Unos only have analog I/O plus dante. But not AES and also the Unos only have pre-designed dsp apps. The Neutrinos are completely adjustable.

But yes, they are very capable and if you do not need the endless modularity of the QSYS (or similar) it's quite a bit less expensive.

Seems like a great monitor controller option of you don't need a full blown QSYS but want some more scalability and flexibility that goes beyond the off-the-shelf surround "volume knobs" that usually end with 8 outs.
Wow. I didn't realize that the uno was so limited.

ok... so, is there something like the Neutrino from a competitor?
Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Wow. I didn't realize that the uno was so limited.

ok... so, is there something like the Neutrino from a competitor?
Well, there are the usual suspects:

London Soundweb 806, QSC QSYS, Peavey Media Matrix Nion, Yamaha DME24

but they are all quite a bit more expensive than the Neutrino for what I need (16 analog outs, AES, Dante). The only one that is around the same range is the BlueSky AMC but that only as 8 I/O outs and no Dante and has a fixed architecture.

The only down-side of the Neurtino is that it can only do 48k but it has SRCs on all the digital ins. 96k I only need to edit field recordings before I send them to soundminer.

Also: The Neutrinos only do +20dBu max on the analog outs. This can be tricky if you have speakers that want to see +24dBu for maximum headroom (like the Meyers) but in my room I don't need all of that headroom anyway.

I always wondered why most of the US-centric gear can only output +20dBu when your studio nominal reference level is +4dBu. For a cinema stage that means your analog outs go into clipping 4dB before you reach the maximum headroom when you calibrate to specs -20dBFs@0VU=+4dBu.

Only very few converters can do +24dBu so you have to either sent your reference lower (0dBu) to avoid clipping and then add the 4dB with additional line-amps that can output +24dBu without clipping and spend another fortune on those.

Processors like the Meyer Gallileo can do +26dBu so you get what you pay for ;-)

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 03-22-2016 at 02:18 AM.