Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2002, 11:05 PM

Default Re: I see the light!!!!

Quote:
posted by No SSL...
The main point of what I'm saying is

GET IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU GET IT IN THE BOX

The suggestion to layer is more a production technique than a mixing one. But hopefully it helps someone.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What the brother said.

The Kung Fu is in the layering of those samples yo.

FX plugs are icing, not cake. Got cake?

Yo Thrillfactor, wassssup??

So very de-luvely to be among the PT diaspora...
[email protected]
Old 12-12-2002, 12:03 AM

I mix "in the box." I cant afford an SSL, a 24trk, or even an analog 2trk, all that i wish i could have. When i first started mixing in PT i admit having the "light mix" syndrome which was audibly annoying. The truth is PT is PT no more or less. When u get back to the basic roots of music recording, its about capturing the moment, the sounds, the textures that are coming out each instrument way before your ready to mix. The more time you put into getting what you want on "tape", the less time and less processing is needed to get your mix right, given though some genres of music lend itself to the wild processing which is hella cool to do. There is no right way and no wrong way to mix. Mixing styles are so diverse nowdays no matter what the configuration there really isnt any rules to mixing anymore. Just make it rock! Ill put my ass on the line here with some mixes i did in PT. www.digjelly.com Enter the site and click on the audio link at the top of the page next to the band name. The first 2 songs "3karmice" and "ultimate" i mixed in PT. It was recorded on adat somewhere's else and i transfered it into PT. I've had this system for bout a year and a half and im not a pro by far but I really enjoy workin on pro tools. Id love to hear your comments, how else better to learn.

Peace
Old 12-12-2002, 01:58 AM

Aaaaahh Still No SSl. are you so Hip Hopped up. All you talk of is Hip Hop, and layering. Is that what your engineering capabilities extend to.

Has it ever crossed your mind that not every record has layer upon layer upon layer.....whats the word again? Oh I know LAYER.

Not once have you given a decent example. Hey Bro, Cat, dude i'm trying to speak HiP Hop teminology for you, cause this is bitchin''

Yo Bro', dude man, lets chill Huh?.

Ya advice is sound, its like freakin man, yeh we gotta layer da **** . Bro the Kik aint slammin, we gotta layer that muthta. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Did I not give advice? You said I didnt, that was mistake number 1.

You hate people like me. That was mistake number 2.

You neither know me, who I am , or what I do.

what you should have done was disect my advice Dont get personal on my ass. I happen to disagree with layer upon layer. Dont you get it?

I simply disagreed with your sweeping statement that the 'Dude' would get his mixes on track with layer upon layer.

as I sit here listening to Dre, the casio CZ line has obviously been layered multiple times................ [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Now I'm off to layer some tarmac with ma 'Bitches'

See ya Bro

PS
I know you even more than you know
Old 12-12-2002, 02:08 AM

Quote:
GET IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU GET IT IN THE BOX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Did I not say that Myself. If you care to read my posts its in there.

Noticed you hail from new orleans. That must be the new capital of Hip Hop or is it slip Slop...

Come on man, dont take it so seriously. Were all in the same game regardless of musical preference. My posts can come across confrontational its just my way I cant help it. This forum can be dead boring at times. Dont you think?

I apologise for my rudeness.

Peace [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2002, 02:12 AM

Quote:
There isnt a single decent sounding album that has been mixed entirely WITHIN Pro Tools. This is becoming rapidly apparent through out the industry. I admit it now and I have the system. Its no big deal, I just mix out of the box.

Anyone who disagrees prove me wrong[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I dont know about whole albums, but in digidesigns news section you can see the credits for a number of releases (billboard credits section)...

Eminem - Lose your self
LL Cool J - Love U Better
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - By The Way
Ashanti - Foolish
Mr Cheeks - Lights Camera Action
Kelly Clarkson - A moment like this
Chad Groeger(? Cant remember his last name) - Hero

All were tracked and mixed in pro tools.
All have made a great deal of money and the public
have endorsed the sound by buying it.

Now u can see why I say that in 3yrs time at least 50% of the records on the chart will be mixed in the box....
Old 12-12-2002, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Now u can see why I say that in 3yrs time at least 50% of the records on the chart will be mixed in the box....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Of that I have no doubt. Does this mean all records will sound 'Hot' in 3 years time?

Quote:
I dont know about whole albums, but in digidesigns news section you can see the credits for a number of releases (billboard credits section)...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dont beleive everything you read.

Quote:
All were tracked and mixed in pro tools.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wait a minute, you just said "I dont know about the whole album, and now you say the above.

Which One Is It?

I have still to be proved wrong.

Can someone point me in the direction of an album regardless of sales that can be proven to have been tracked and mixed entirely within pro tools.

Even our friendly poster who has in fact done a sterling job may have had outside influence. It seems initially it was tracked with ADAT. If so, my suspicion is that Outside Influences Have Been Used

I really want to be proved wrong. as a PT user and a happy one beleive it or not......I would like to get rid of the cumbersome console. Until I hear something 'Hot' its staying. Pt's is a marvelous tool.with some minor flaws. No Big deal, I just fail to see why so many in here wont, cant accept this.

Anyway, I'm of to meet MM for some Coffee. Gotta rush [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2002, 03:10 AM

Quote:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">All were tracked and mixed in pro tools.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wait a minute, you just said "I dont know about the whole album, and now you say the above.

Which One Is It?

I have still to be proved wrong.

QB]<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm telling u that the number one song in the country was tracked and mixed in tools and you have problem because the whole album might not have been?? your joking arent you???.. ;-)

I can only provide quotes from digidesign and billboard magazine. If they are not reputable sources then I dont know what else to say.

Whether it sounds "HOT" is a matter of opinion, some think Eminems single is amazing others dont. But I want to be in BUSINESS, so I deal with facts not opinions. And the facts speak for themselves....

hope the coffees nice!!
Old 12-12-2002, 07:41 AM

Ok fellas this is my last response to this internet clown. I'm sure by now from the exchange of posts it is clear who has no sense here. I believe my degree in marketing and my MBA give me the right to talk any bit of slang I choose. Furthermore no Hip Hop is not the full extent of my work or my talent. It just so happens that the guy who asked the original question was doing hip hop. And as far as me hating people like planet x, I think in this country we are free do dislike who we choose. But I will go further and say that I don't really hate you brother. I hate that you are so confrontational. My experience in life has taught me that it is often a waste of time.

Hopefully my posts have helped someone.

And yes I do hail from New Orleans. I hope my fellow net contributor planet x is not one to think that most people in LA are actually from LA.

Now threesixty, since you posed the original question. I'll give you a quote from the great Master P (not that he had the most talent nor the best records, he just found a way to be more succesful then everyone else the particular year that he said the words to come.

In a rush to get a track out for pressing
He said
"As long as my vocals are loud and the bass is nice" Don't mix it give it here

I am not suggesting this as a philosophy. (If I were I wouldnt be taking my time on mixes and buying new gear. I could use 4 adats and an 02R like he did)

The point is the same as when I brought up Jack the ripper having hiss

You have to make it sound the best you can on your budget (hopefully i have given some helpful hints on how you can do this). Figure a way to get paid from it. It's the only way that CATS like you and I will ever afford to get the gear and the talent to give us the sound we desire.

Also maybe its your settings on the plugins cause while I have to admit they are not anywhere near outboard. Good things are possible. Just use what you need
Don't go trying to use 15 1176's. First the quality is not as good as the actual unit. Second What studio ever has 15 1176's just sitting around? The rules are not much different from the real world inside the box.

And as far as my layering suggestions I'm sure you and everyone else with common sense (which has been proven to not be common by one of our fellow contributors)will understand what I was getting at

Now as far as that CAT who can point to one similarity in our posts and say he gave a single good suggestion
God Bless You.

(From what I hear he protects children and damned fools so you are covered)
Old 12-12-2002, 08:03 AM

Man I just realized we have been giving real suggestions and this x person is going to meet MM for coffee. Could that be Mixer Man?

Ok I quit I see now you are just here to be confrontation, cantankerous, and argumentive.

You win

Threesixty I listed gear and gave suggestions to say You know you can't beat the majors with recording budget. So beat em with better songs and better grooves. Man I can remember when the Cash Money Click had records that didn't sell. Now if you read the latest source you'll see that selling is no longer a problem. Now is it the best music? Does it have the best mixes? I'll simply say that my answers to those are probably the same as yours. But, would I rather be in Baby's shoes making some of that money?

Of course.

Use what you got to get what you want. Good records (Hits) have come from Roland 1680's/SSL and 2"/ Mackie boards and Adats.
and every combination in between.

I'm not suggesting you use protools alone. Track through quality pieces and get it right going in. Stop reading the "who's who of mixed in ptools" Sure it's entertaining for a while but It also brings up the question of what did they track through into ptools? At the end of the day even if every record for the next 10 years is mixed on session 8 systems. It won't help your sound. Man I used to spend time asking the same questions (do a search on my name and you will see I was in your same shoes) One day I just realized this was the system I had in front of me and I made it work.
even using plugins
(honestly I wasted some money on those cause I only use the McDSP stuff. TC, a few BF's and the Lexiverb, Reverb One and Wave mechanics With maybe a digi here or there)

Get in there and make it better. Don't let some internet clown tell you it ain't possible when you see it happening around you.

Remember
"Those crazy enough to think they can change the world, usually do"
Old 12-12-2002, 08:07 AM

Man I just realized we have been giving real suggestions and this x person is going to meet MM for coffee. Could that be Mixer Man?

Ok I quit I see now you are just here to be confrontation, cantankerous, and argumentive.

You win

Threesixty I listed gear and gave suggestions to say You know you can't beat the majors with recording budget. So beat em with better songs and better grooves. Man I can remember when the Cash Money Click had records that didn't sell. Now if you read the latest source you'll see that selling is no longer a problem. Now is it the best music? Does it have the best mixes? I'll simply say that my answers to those are probably the same as yours. But, would I rather be in Baby's shoes making some of that money?

Of course.

Use what you got to get what you want. Good records (Hits) have come from Roland 1680's/SSL and 2"/ Mackie boards and Adats.
and every combination in between.

I'm not suggesting you use protools alone. Track through quality pieces and get it right going in. Stop reading the "who's who of mixed in ptools" Sure it's entertaining for a while but It also brings up the question of what did they track through into ptools? At the end of the day even if every record for the next 10 years is mixed on session 8 systems. It won't help your sound. Man I used to spend time asking the same questions (do a search on my name and you will see I was in your same shoes) One day I just realized this was the system I had in front of me and I made it work.
even using plugins
(honestly I wasted some money on those cause I only use the McDSP stuff. TC, a few BF's and the Lexiverb, Reverb One and Wave mechanics With maybe a digi here or there)

Get in there and make it better. Don't let some internet clown tell you it ain't possible when you see it happening around you.

Remember
"Those crazy enough to think they can change the world, usually do"