Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Default Suggestion to fix the annoying cmd grid/slip toggle modifier issue

Hi all- I know this has been brough up many times: the slip to grid selection modifier (pressing command while in slip jumps the cursor to the next grid line) is extremely inefficient and changes the behavior of years of muscle memory; I keep inadvertently pressing command out of habit when I want to select a precise spot no matter what Edit Mode is active. Now pressing command while in slip does the opposite behavior compared to being in grid, making you constantly double check what edit mode you're in. I don't believe this was a requested feature ever, and I've seen way more complaints than praise on here about the change. The fact that you cannot disable this behavior is what makes it incredibly annoying.

So if you click-drag to make a selection while in slip, pressing command will now extend the selection to the nearest Grid line. This sucks, but Ok. However while holding right-click down to keep the selection movable, performing an action which also uses command (i.e. separate clip - Cmd+E) causes the selection to jump to a gird line BUT only performs the action on the initial selection, not what is currently highlighted by holding command in slip. This is extremely confusing.

If the devs are not going to make this an option or change it back to pre 12.5 behavior, then PLEASE- make it so the slip/grid mod does not kick in unless you press command BEFORE you click on the timeline. After I've clicked and held right-click to keep the selection movable, I want to be able to use Command for actions without it messing with my selection, especially if the action is not going to affect what is currently selected. This wastes a lot of time when speed editing, and I am constantly having to pay attention to edit modes now. The fact that it is a small box away from where I am looking makes this even more annoying. Before it was not necessary to know what mode you were in, as holding command always meant SLIP or that the selection follows the exact spot clicked no matter what.

I do not think they tested this in the real world before making it a permanent "feature" that is a drastic change from how PT modifiers have always been for many, many years. I don't really see how this feature helps out much. Honestly would just love for it to be back how it was...

Any thoughts? Please keep this issue in the air if it bothers you too.

here's a link to an old thread discussing this issue: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403245

Thanks!!
Old 06-17-2019, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Suggestion to fix the annoying cmd grid/slip toggle modifier issue

Prefer how it is now. When speed editing music while tracking the current vice versa method is very handy.
But then I don't have an impairment of constantly holding right-click -- I can let go for a split second to apply a command and reselecting a separated clip takes no time at all.

This would make the whole system pointless:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolooki View Post
PLEASE- make it so the slip/grid mod does not kick in unless you press command BEFORE you click on the timeline.
The point is to be able to change how you are doing selections on the fly while working. If you had to know before starting a selection, then it is completely pointless.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:

here's a link to an old thread discussing this issue: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403245

Thanks!!
Weeeeeeell, now as the person who started that moany thread above, I have to say that of late I've kind of got used to the new key commands. Even though I've never been someone who uses "Grid" mode very much (and I'm guessing the guys in Post hardly use it at all), I was recently working on a project that was heavily grid based, and I did grow to like the option of being able to "snap to grid" without having to change from "Slip" mode, especially when manually moving warp markers in EA.

Having said that, the old muscle memory still catches me out a lot of the time of course.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Weeeeeeell, now as the person who started that moany thread above, I have to say that of late I've kind of got used to the new key commands. Even though I've never been someone who uses "Grid" mode very much (and I'm guessing the guys in Post hardly use it at all), I was recently working on a project that was heavily grid based, and I did grow to like the option of being able to "snap to grid" without having to change from "Slip" mode, especially when manually moving warp markers in EA.

Having said that, the old muscle memory still catches me out a lot of the time of course.

you're killin me lol. regardless it should've been an option 100%. you do need to keep checking your edit mode now which was not a thing before. now it would make more sense to be able to lock out both spot AND shuffle modes. that way cycling through edit modes is more of a grid/slip switch. I am assuming these are the most important edit modes for everyone anyways.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
now it would make more sense to be able to lock out both spot AND shuffle modes. that way cycling through edit modes is more of a grid/slip switch. I am assuming these are the most important edit modes for everyone anyways.
I have my Expert Mouse programed so that one of the buttons switches between Slip/Grid so this really isn't an issue.

PT 20.3.0
S1 x2
Artist Transport
Avid Control
iPad 7th Gen
HD Native
Hackintosh i9 3.6 GHz Six Core
MTRX Studio
OSX 13.6.4
Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 AM

It's true that people are probably mainly alternating between slap and grid modes. However I can count on one hand the number of times I've accidentally hit the wrong mode. (Unlike, say, using the wrong flipping trim tool, which I seem to do on an hourly basis...)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:52 AM

I urgently ask for an option box, to get PT in the state it behaved BEFORE this new "feature" of snapping the selection to the next grid, when holding down the cmd key.
I do a lot of speed editing and therefore just use shortcuts to toggle between different tool selections. the cmd-key is mandatory in this, and if I select something and switch to the next tool (e.g. cmd+3 or cmd+4) I have to make shure to release my finger from the mouse button, so the selection doesn’t accidently snap to the next grid. This is extremely annoying and slows me down. By the way, I’m not alone with this issue. Every single editor here is cursing over this behavior. So PLEASE make this an option to select somewhere in the preferences.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudio View Post
I urgently ask for an option box, to get PT in the state it behaved BEFORE this new "feature" of snapping the selection to the next grid, when holding down the cmd key.
I do a lot of speed editing and therefore just use shortcuts to toggle between different tool selections. the cmd-key is mandatory in this, and if I select something and switch to the next tool (e.g. cmd+3 or cmd+4) I have to make shure to release my finger from the mouse button, so the selection doesn’t accidently snap to the next grid. This is extremely annoying and slows me down. By the way, I’m not alone with this issue. Every single editor here is cursing over this behavior. So PLEASE make this an option to select somewhere in the preferences.
In Soviet Russia, Pro Tools adjusts you.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:54 PM

Please keep bringing this up until it's addressed. still messes me up regularly.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Please keep bringing this up until it's addressed. still messes me up regularly.
Definitely agree with having it as a preference. And I think on balance I would go back to old behaviour as well. The number of times you want something snapped to the grid when you're in slip mode - even music that is grid based - is pretty low really isn't it. If I want grid mode, I'll select it, thanks all the same Avid.