Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Default Pro tools 9 vs 9.0.6 - regions with missing audio

I'd like to know if there are any big advantages upgrading from pt9 to 9.0.6? I upgraded on a laptop for use when i'm not in home studio. I copied the sessions from home studio external harddrive where i'm still running pt9. When i open any of these sessions on my laptop running pt9.0.6 there's always some regions that appears sky blue without any audio. I tried looking in the audio files folders but can't find anything. Im thinking of uninstalling pt9.0.6 and reinstalling pt9. Could'nt find much info on this specific problem and would appreciate any help.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 9 vs 9.0.6 - regions with missing audio

Does PT ask you to relink the missing files?
Is it possible the partition you were using on the other laptop filled up and PT put the audio on a differnt partition?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Good questions from dave911, but I have more. When you say "without any audio", do you mean there is no sound, or no waveform or both(sometimes I have seen missing waveforms, but playback sounds fine, indicating some odd graphics issue. Often, that is solved by doing a consolidate region command.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-17-2012, 05:46 AM

Yes pt does ask to relink. I've tried all three options (skip all, manually find and relink, automatically find and relink) but can't find some of the audio files manually and if it eventually finishes with automatic relink it says "files could not be found"
The external drive that i use at home studio has a lot of space available.
I dont get any sound or waveform. When I open the session it says: Some regions had invalid bounds and were ajusted or deleted. The original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. Check the disk allocation window to see what's changed. Thanx for the replies
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM

I remember the "invalid" problem and did lose some files that way.
Can't recall which version fixed it.
The 9.06 readme should have a list of the bug fixes from 9.0.
How did you move the sessions, through windows copy or PT save a copy?
Are you sure they are in the audio folder before you try to open in 9.06?
Could be a path problem if they aren't there.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 PM

I run all the sessions from an external harddrive at home studio. So I just copied each saved session from that harddrive onto another external harddrive (basically dragged folder with saved sessions from one drive to the other) which I wanted to work from with laptop when not at home. Should i rather save a copy through pro tools on the other external I want to use?
Most of the audio files are showing in the session's audio folder but some files will be missing for example: Guitar 2_07 will show but Guitar 2_07-01 will be missing.
Thanx dave911
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM

I would compare the folders after you copy them but before opening them in PT to see if PT is really deleting some files or there is a problem with the copy process.
If it is PT doing a save a copy and checking the copy all audio files might help.
Also similar to what Albee1952 suggested you could consolidate the regions before copy if that doesn't mess up your work flow.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM

I used pt save a copy and it worked! I also did check copy all audio files and plug-in settings. Before I opened the sessions I compared the audio files from the different folders. The audio folder from the save a copy session had a lot more audio files compared to the other session I just dragged from one drive to the other. Although there were still some files that did'nt appear in the save a copy folder, all the tracks had waveform and sound. Not really sure why it copies some files and not others...but atleast i can hear everything on my sessions now.
Thanx dave911
Old 07-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Welcome, glad you got it working.
Sounds like you might have the option set to do round robin recording (can't remember what PT calls it) to all you disks, so some of the audio might be on the laptop drives.
Also, I would set the disk allocation for record on the external disk and transfer on all others.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 AM

I saw that the round robin allocation was'nt checked and it looks like its set on root media folder, but i'll have a look at the custom allocation options.
Thanx