Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Crash related to Copy/Duplicate and time base settings

I cause a crash every time when I do the following:

1) Make a selection in a playlist. 2) Change the main timebase 3) try to copy or duplicate my selection.

Also setting the timebase to minutes/seconds and the grid base to bars/beats causes the same crash when copying or editing regions. Anything, it seems, which pastes to the edit buffer.

It's driving me crazy on this job because I'm needing to see the length of selections in minutes/seconds, but still needing to work in bars and beats.

I believe this is a bug.

P.T. 7.3.1 cs4
Mac OS 10.4.10
PPC Dual 2.5 4GB
Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Avid

Default Re: Crash related to Copy/Duplicate and time base settings

Can you give any more info on how you're reproducing this? Does it happen in every session?

I've tried what you describe - selecting either a whole region or part of a region, changing the main time base and then duplicating, copying and/or pasting and I can't get it to crash.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:51 PM

I'm getting this too--generally when changing midi playlists--not consistently though--and the session are super lean. This is a bug 4 sure.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 PM

Had this happen with 1 midi track that I imported into a session. When selecting and trying to move the audio i had an instant crash. I rebuilt the session from scratch and had the same results. As soon as I deleted the midi track it was fine. I have had this happen(Very Rare) with AUX tracks being selected with a group of audio as well. I delete prefs and databases daily.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Can you give any more info on how you're reproducing this? Does it happen in every session?

I've tried what you describe - selecting either a whole region or part of a region, changing the main time base and then duplicating, copying and/or pasting and I can't get it to crash.
Dear DigiTechSupt. My hope is that you have been assigned to work on this and that we might see a resolution to this "issue" some time in the near future. See my posts below, one just from last week and one from a year ago, that detail exactly this problem.

Copy Paste Problem. Don't Have A Work Around. Could Use One!

7.2cs1 copying timeline/tracks quits off screen

For tmcentury, as described in my post from last week, the only real work around is to first copy and paste the rulers (meters, tempos and markers), then copy and paste one track at a time until you find the offending aux or midi track that is crashing your session. I've found that the more daily culprit is likely to be an aux, I haven't come across bad midi recently, but I would never count it out as an offender. Following one suggestion, I bought some new Ram and am in the process of testing and swapping. We have the problem on both rigs and I put two 1 gb sticks in one machine with no improvement, but I will continue that research in the hope that it really is just bad ram - in both of our rigs!!

How often can you expect it to happen? I'm seeing it in about one in every five sessions. For a while I thought it was moving 6.x to 7.x sessions, but now I think not. It took Digi ten months to isolate and fix the " PT 7.3.1 - Still Features Random Graphic Freezes" issue, once they started work on it. So until we actually receive an acknowledgement that this is actually a problem, I'm not expecting them to be working on it.

Best

Kevin

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12.1.138 | Mac Studio M1 Max (64 GB) | Ventura 13.6.3 | Clarett+ 2Pre

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD6 PCIx | Mac Pro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Magma PE6R4-I | 192 i/o |

Pro Tools HD 9.0.6 | HD3 PCIe | MacPro5,1 (mid 2010) Westmere 3.33 GHz Hexacore (32 GB) | Lion 10.7.5 | Apogee Rosetta 200 | C|24

Old 02-16-2008, 01:11 PM

..wow, I've been having this issue for ever, and it's killing me! I find that it happens with drag and drop midi regions imported into the session (midi pattern taken from Stylus and BFD, for example). Operations that crash PT include; duplicate, paste, new playlist,etc. Tempo ruler edits as well.

This issue "is not" a problem with recycle generated MIDI or MIdI exported from Reason. It is more prevalent when running BFD and other soft-synths.

i wonder if there is a bug when importing midi regions into a session--perhaps some meta-data in the midi file?
'`
PT HD 7.2
Mac OS 10.4.11