Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Problems with Synthogy\'s Ivory Pls help

Having problems with Ivory.
Running protools 6.4 hd accel
G4 single processor 1.25 ghz
2 gigs of ram

playing back from midi while playing back video out firewire port to ADS PYRO link..
Ivory Sound files on xtrnl firewire drive in the same chain that the video drive is on but the ADS is on a different firwire port.
Crashes protools. protools just quits.. Any help would be great.

Could the placement of drivesin the chain be effecting this?
Is there an optimal order for drives (eg. Video----> Samples-----> Audio------> Computer)?
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 12-07-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Problems with Synthogy\'s Ivory Pls help

Aside from the problems you're having, how does Ivory sound. I was thinking about picking it up, but have had no experience with it. It looks good on paper, but...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:53 PM

I really like it. It is a bit hissy sometimes depending on which piano you are using, but the feel, and the sound of the pedal moving and all of the little nick nacks make up for that...

Does anyone else have issues with this plug?

Also, in general, is there an optimal order for firewire drives in a chain? Audio first, video second? Samples and video (played from) on different firewire ports? I hadn't had a problem before I started playing video out the firewire port. Any help is much appreciated.
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 AM

no apparent probs here with streaming from a 400 firewire drive on the G5 or latency...and indeed it "feels" more like a real piano than the KX2500 from which I play it...best piano sounds I've had to date on 20-ish years...not just the bass notes but the mids and of course high notes make you wanna make music...!

but yes, the hiss is there, unless you put the dynamic parameter all the way at max which is the not the default when you boot the plug up...

also my playing tends to suddenly trigger notes too loudly compared to others...I'm blaming my fingers too long weakened by playing only KX2500 type "weighted" action....wish there was heavier.

all in all, I won't go back to the KX when recording piano tracks...

Kirk
Old 12-08-2004, 06:08 AM

I would try to make the video drive an internal drive! DV-video takes up an awfull lot of bandwith. The G4 comes with 4 internal drivebays, use them. I would also put the Ivory-drive inside the computer leaving the 2 firewire busses for Audio and DV-Playback. The G4 has 2 internal IDE-busses a 66 and a 100MHz. Use the 66 for your System disk and Ivory-Disk and keep the 100 for Video leaving one drive bay open on the 100 bus for any non-"streaming" data! The more you spread out your "streaming" data the better!!! I have yet to find the perfect solution for running multiple "streaming" Samplers(BFD,VSL,EastWest)
and DV-Video of of one computer without taking up a PCI-slot for a firewire or SATA card.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I would try to make the video drive an internal drive! DV-video takes up an awfull lot of bandwith. The G4 comes with 4 internal drivebays, use them. I would also put the Ivory-drive inside the computer leaving the 2 firewire busses for Audio and DV-Playback. The G4 has 2 internal IDE-busses a 66 and a 100MHz. Use the 66 for your System disk and Ivory-Disk and keep the 100 for Video leaving one drive bay open on the 100 bus for any non-"streaming" data! The more you spread out your "streaming" data the better!!! I have yet to find the perfect solution for running multiple "streaming" Samplers(BFD,VSL,EastWest)
and DV-Video of of one computer without taking up a PCI-slot for a firewire or SATA card.

Thanks for the idea. I am planning on upgrading to a G5 in the next few days (Prompted by this issue) Should I do the same thing with the G5. Internal system drive, internal video drive and internal sample (Ivory) drive? I use BFD as well, should I keep that on an external drive? And I also use Mach 5 but I do not stream it. Is it ok to put ivory on the same drive as my mach 5 sounds folder?
PT 8cs3
HD 2 Accel
1 Process Card
UAD quad
PT 8.0.1 cs 1
OSX 10.5.8
Ctrl 24
Old 12-08-2004, 01:22 PM

Try turning off the release samples. They won't be audible unless the track is completely exposed. They are very demanding on disk/CPU.

Busch.