Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Please help! "Some paths were made inactive..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
All they have to do is add a "do not show this message again" checkbox for those that cannot be bothered with it. It really is annoying.
This still hasn't been addressed haha. How hard is it to add a checkbox

I set my inputs from the invalid one. . .to a valid one. . .save it (they're not in IO either as they are inputs such as MIC1) and yet when I open a session - BOOM they're all back to MIC 1. Blurgh.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM

Have you tried just taking the audio from the session and screw everything else. A lot of work once but you wouldn't have to work with a imported session. Just the audio that came with it. Save track by track to ITUNES then drag it into a new session. Should get rid of any old session bugs .
Have you tried , after you have everything working again , save as ( a new name ) then save to a new completely independent folder. Then save to a backup externally . Try to load the ( new saved to ) session. If that doesn't work load the session from the external.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Not sure if you've ever gotten a "fix" for this, so thought I'd let you in on what I've learned.

Part of the problem is that the "Setup/IO" screen in ProTools is a GLOBAL setting, not just for the session you are working on. So, if you screw something up in that screen, all of your sessions will be affected. I'm sure there are reasons to be in there, but unless you know for sure what you're doing, I suggest you leave the "Setup/IO" screen alone with default paths. That means not renaming paths too!. I would like to experiment, but it's too painful to correct mistakes (unless there are ways that I haven't yet discovered)!

Now, the solution is fairly simple and yet tricky. If you get the "input path "S/PDIF L-R" (or whatever your error message indicates) was made inactive because its stem is missing" error, then you have one or more tracks with "S/PDIF L-R" as the input path. If you are looking at the mix window, it will be about 1/3 of the way down where it says I/O. The path will be darkly grayed out indicating it's not a legitimate path. Click on the button, choose interface, and select one of the inputs shown that are legit. On my setup it's either Input 1 or Input 2. Do that for every track that is darkly grayed out. The two tricky parts, to me anyway, are that this also applies to "hidden" tracks, if you have them, and the fact that you can't select "No Input" as a valid selection on the first pass at correcting the error(s). You can check to see if you have hidden tracks by clicking on the |-> (bar right arrow icon) in the lower left hand side of the edit window (or select View-Other Displays-Track List). (Oh, and be sure you do this from the edit window and not the mix window or you'll be stuck with the track list showing every time you open your session. There's a fix for that too, but it also is painful.) Once you click on that icon, the track window appears. All the tracks that are showing in your edit window will have a dark gray dot next to it. Tracks with a light gray dot are not showing, so you have to check those tracks and correctly select an I/O path for those as well. Once you have checked all the tracks, and have entered in a correct I/O path, then save and close the session. When you reopen the session, you should not longer received that error (if you do, you missed a track). Once you reopen the session, you can also set any tracks to "No Input", save and close the session, and it will now be retained.

Hope this helps,
TweedyBird
ProTools 10 Vers 10.3.8
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 AM

Sorry, late to the party.

When I see this error at session launch, I just go to the Bus i/o dialog box and delete the i/o paths that are italicized. Click through the warning and you have all valid paths. You may need to do a little path clean up in the session, like setting tracks to no input, but after that you will never have that dialog pop up before the session opens. Always happens when I get sessions from our other studios.

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 07-25-2014, 08:15 PM

Excuse my ignorance here folks but how do I set valid input/output paths though the I/O Menu?
I see the Input and Output tabs in the pop up box but I don't know what I should be selecting or deselecting.
Any help at all would be appreciated

**edit** Just noticed this thread is for Mac but i'm using Windows7 if anyone can help tho plz do
Old 07-26-2014, 07:18 AM

Musicm@n,

See if this video helps you out:

Setting Up Pro Tools IO
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 PM

Wow today is 2016-0819 and still years later now in PT 11.0.1 this is still an issue. I have changed all inputs and outputs to none. Then deleted everything in every tab from the I/O screen. Reset everything to default, set my outputs again, closed and saved the session and when I opened it, it happened again, wow!
And I did not put a check mark in the I/O screen at the bottom where it says: "Sessions overwrite current I/O Setup when opened"
ok (update) I put a check mark in that box now, and set all my inputs to my own. The ones that were ghost looking. Then saved and closed the session and when I re-opened it..... volah! all set! Gone! nice!