Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Default Protools LE 8/Mac OS: ipad control surface

I'm trying to make more use of my ipad and I've read some interesting options about using it as a control surface for protools.

I'm a Protools LE 8 user on Mac OS Snow Leopard, I'm using a rack 003.

From you more professional and compatability/usability aware guys what is the stand out/must have ipad software for use with pro-tools 8 LE.

I'm very interested in a control surface option but I'd be interested in any other uses that you suggest.

Quite happy to spend a little hear to get some good pro-tools use out of it.

thanks,
Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Protools LE 8/Mac OS: ipad control surface

I do know someone who uses some kind of DAW controller app on his iPad that works with PT, Logic, and Ableton, but I forgot what it's called and don't know if it's still available on the app store. One thing he did say, though, is that it's glitchy and doesn't always work 100%.

However, if you find an app that will use WiFi or Bluetooth to connect to the Mac and use as an external mouse and keyboard AND uses gestures (needed for "dragging" faders and scrolling among the Edit and Mix windows), it could work. Before compatibility was taken away from my 2g iTouch I was using TouchPad ($4.99) and it worked fairly well (although it could have been better if I were using a iPad).
320 GB HD
2x 1TB Firewire 800 HD

MBOX 2
ProTools 8 LE
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

air display......(9.99)

mirror mode will put your monitor down to the resolution of the ipad tho....

it's nice but I just need to be able to hit record from the booth.....i am not really interested in mixing from the thing

V-Control is most likely more indepth....and may work better but its a bit more (49.99)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 03-12-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: espelling
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 AM

I did look at mirroring the monitor on to the ipad, but I wanted something to augment it rather than mirror it.

If there is nothing worth using it for I'll not bother, however I was just reading some reviews of people using the ipad as a tool with pro-tools (eg: I wouldn't do proper final mixing on it, but for just setting things while recording it could be useful).

Trying to find any way to make use of the tools I've got in the best way possible, if it's a waste and it's all a bit sloppy/poor then I'll just use the ipad for my day to day micky mouse browsing and the like.

Any input on how to make use of it is most welcome, happy to buy an app if it's worth while as a tool