Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Default thinking of selling SFX libraries

I have pondered the idea of becoming a distributer for the major SFX libraries and creating an online store to sell them.

I would plan to carry the major libraries:

soundideas
hollywood edge
BBC
DeWolf
etc.

My question is this. Do any of you buy these libraries anymore and if so who do you buy them from. Do you go strait to the source i.e.. hollywood edge and buy them direct or from a reseller?

I work in a post house and have seen a lot of younger sound designers /editors freely trade the stock libraries amongst themselves as they often fit on one hard drive that is easily duplicated. I wonder if the days of buying the libraries on CD are coming to and end? Also, are there any possible emerging global markets that would require the purchase of sfx libraries (bollywood, china, games, etc)

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Re: thinking of selling SFX libraries

Quote:
I work in a post house and have seen a lot of younger sound designers /editors freely trade the stock libraries amongst themselves as they often fit on one hard drive that is easily duplicated.
Umm, that's illegal.

We actually buy what we use.

I remember in the PT 5 days having to compete with post houses that "owned" every plug-in ever made.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 AM

I understand that this is illegal. However this has not stopped people from doing this. Just look at music, illegal sharing is rampant.
I don't believe this is isolated to my part of the world.

I am just telling it as I see it. I wish it were not true as it is one of the major reasons I may not start this venture. I know they have tried to stem the tide in the music world with DRM but that has not seemed to work. I don't see any SFX libraries with embedded DRM and I don't see this happening any time soon.

Beyond that are there any other comments?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Sorry, that comment was not directed at you. Or at your studio in particular! Except to the extent that it might keep you from going into the business of selling something everyone steals.

To answer your question we buy directly from the manufacturer. What advantage are you planing on having over that?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM

No real differences. I would hope to do a better job of the online marketing of my website and snag some new customers. The pricing would be almost exactly the same. I did talk to a sales associate of a major library today and he confirmed that piracy is a big issue for them. Especially in the emerging markets of China and India.

Makes me wonder if I should go ahead with this.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 PM

I think it woukld be a waste of time and energy.
Especially up here in vancouver, where the Audio-Post budgets are crap.

IMDB Credits
Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM

Sound Ideas very actively prosecutes illegal trade of their libraries.
They have good lawyers too, who have won some pretty good judgments on copyright infringement cases-

to find out more, contact Brian Nimens there-

Charles Maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:32 PM

I know that the studio I work at strictly prohibits the editors to make copies of the libraries.

IMDB Credits
Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I have pondered the idea of becoming a distributer for the major SFX libraries and creating an online store to sell them.

I would plan to carry the major libraries:

soundideas
hollywood edge
BBC
DeWolf
etc.

there are many stores that sell libraries already. To open another one would only make sense if you do something better than all the others wich can only be a better price in that segment.

It´s like opening a gas station next door to an existing one that has been there for years. Why would people stop there? 1) because the gas (petrol) is cheaper or 2) they don´t need gas but the beer is cheaper ;-)

frank.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM

I'm not sure you can do any better than them. Sound Ideas and THE have a very good direct-sales system in place. If you are a long time customer or buy many libraries they often give good deals. I've seen other online vendors offer their libraries and have never seen the advantage of buying through them. If your a sound designer I think your better off recording your own and selling them to them or making you own libraries for sale. My 2 cents.

Frank Bry