Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Catalina update for Pro-Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I was asking because I thought the new Mac Pros will ship with Catalina and they would not run on anything earlier than Catalina? I don't have any reasons to want Catalina, bit I do want and will buy a new Mac Pro...finally, my cheese grater is very old now and chugs along very slowly but still does. I have 2 HDX cards but one use one (the other car dis in a box) because I don't have enough PCIe slots
Yes, I understood, was just trying to know opinions about what the new OS could bring in terms of performance or features for audio work.
We also had to buy a new iMAC Pro in the beginning of the year(there was no sign of MAC Pro launch then) and had to stick with Mojave pre-installed and was not a very pleasant experience, so I understand you.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is pretty much a given you need Catalina for the new Mac Pro, otherwise they would have shipped them already
Actually, in the Apple site it says that the new Mac Pro ships with Mohave. I was also thinking it was Catalina but seems that Mohave will be the initial OS.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Actually, in the Apple site it says that the new Mac Pro ships with Mohave. I was also thinking it was Catalina but seems that Mohave will be the initial OS.
There have been zero situations where Apple has shipped hardware with an old macOS.

Catalina comes out this month. The new Mac Pros are still not scheduled to ship (or order.) You can do that math. They will update the website because websites can be easily updated.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
There have been zero situations where Apple has shipped hardware with an old macOS.
Of course *if* indeed Apple has promised to ship them with Mojave and they don't I smell a lawsuit. Just don't know how valid the so called promise would be when Mojave is their current operating system. Historically, the day Catalina comes out means new hardware will ship with it installed and won't work with earlier OS.

I remember back in Jaguar times (2002!) some hardware were released just the same time with Panther and they shipped with a special version of Jaguar that was only available on the factory install. If you needed to reinstall the operating system on those, you needed to install Panther. I guess they could do the same here, but who would want that if the point would be relying on Mojave for some years to come?
Old 10-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course *if* indeed Apple has promised to ship them with Mojave and they don't I smell a lawsuit.
They are not even up for order.
There are no T&C of sale to agree to until they actual put them up for sale.
I could make a video of a blue frog that talks and say I'll be selling it soon and never put it up for sale. But until there's a party with some kind of standing of injury (like a customer who places an order), there are no grounds for lawsuits.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 AM

There you go, proves my point. Catalina shipping first, it is a given new hardware ships with it.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:29 PM

The market for the new Mac Pro is video, a market they almost completely lost thanks to the trashcan and FCX. Shipping it with only Catalina would be a colossal mistake because it would be incompatible with literally decades of existing video projects.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:37 PM

We'll see. If they release Catalina first and ship Mac Pro later as Mojave compatible, that would be notorious.