Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Default Delay with busses

Lately I have been recording audio to Pro Tools through aux tracks (preamp > aux track > audio track). This way I can insert plugins "pre tape" and process audio on the way in. Really, it's my virtual way of having a Neve console. The odd thing is, simply routing an aux track to an audio track causes a noticeable delay. On my system, with a hardware buffer at 128 samples, the delay is 206 samples. This with with NO PLUGINS IN THE SESSION. (My system = 8 core Mac Pro, Lynx Aurora 16, Lynx AES card, Pro Tools HD 9.0.2)

Now, I know some plugins will cause a slight delay... maybe a couple samples... but why is there a delay simply by routing audio from an aux track to an audio track?

The extra bizarre thing is that this method of recording is completely supported by AVID. In the ICON training book they mention "Inline Console Mode" which requires you to route audio through an aux track before going to an audio track. I can't imagine AVID would support this concept when it causes such considerable delay.

What gives?

You know... this problem maybe just be solved if we could simply have another section for plugin inserts that are "pre-tape". That would rock my world.