How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM

Default 8 Core Mac Pro giving unexpected CPU overload errors

Hi All

I'm a long time PC user who has just come across to Apple gear and I love it.

BUT, I'm struggling to get the full peformance from my Mac Pro setup and keep getting the CPU Overload error (-6101). I have a powerful Mac and the same projects were fine on my PC setup so I need to check I doing everything correctly.

I'm running Pro Tools 10.3.2 on a Mid 2010 Mac Pro (5,1) with 2 x 2.4Ghz Xeons (8 cores) and 16 GB Ram. I am using the OS X - 10.8.2 with all latest updates installed.

I use iZotope Ozone 5 (standard) and Nectar and Alloy2. Plus all the usual goodies from Avid and Air - my projects typcally use Alloy2 on each track plus a sprinking of others and the projects are 10-25 tracks. (I appreciate iZotope stuff can be heavy on CPU. but these projects have been fine on my old PC setup which was Win 7 SP1, on 2 x quadcore 2.66GHz Xeons (8 cores)

The wierdest thing is that the error happens when you'd least expects. I'm just playing a track with the Protools CPU Meter hovering around 30-35% and then bang up it pops. I have run the OS X resource monitors in the background at the same time and they don't show a spike in CPU use either. So this leads me to belive it is setup.

I had something similar on PC when I first started with the Air Reverb plug, which had a bug and some very excellent people on this forum spotted it straight away. But I'm not using that plug here, but I seem to suddenly run out of CPU resource.

I have followed all the AVID optimisation steps recommended for OSX. I note that the Cores listed in the Setup dialog are showing as 16 not 8 but understand this due to the multithreading ability of each core (2 on each) so 8 cores shows as 16. Initially I had selected 15 out 16 to be in use and run at 95% but this seemed to use the most CPU on the meter. I found a sweet spot at 6 cores selected - this just seems counter to what you would expect.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Ed
Old 01-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Re: 8 Core Mac Pro giving unexpected CPU overload errors

I use mine at 7 cores at 99%. I hate to say this, but it sounds like your Mac is running fine. Ozone 5 can be a real hog especially if you run at 96k with the maximizer on IIRC3.

You didn't say what sample rate you run at or what your buffer settings are, or what OS version you run. So, check your buffer settings are set high for mixes, and if you are running at 96k you can try using 48k.

I don't know Alloy's cpu requirements, but you could try running with less in a session to see if that helps.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Hi Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah I know Ozone is heavy. I generally only use one instance as a mastering plug. Alloy2 is optimised to be less CPU heavy so you can use it like a channel strip. I have buffers to the max 1024 (and tried everything in between). I have auto delay comp to max too. Everything is at just 44.1 kHz

It's the behaviour that bugs me - If the meters were hovering at 80-90% then it would make sense but I go from happy 35% to error nothing in between.

Ed
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Question Re: 8 Core Mac Pro giving unexpected CPU overload errors

Try changing the CPU usage limit to 80%. Why not update to v10.3.3?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM

Hi Ed,

I have a very similar setup to yours. I have not had previous problems with Pro Tools 10.3.2, but recently have gotten tons of CPU Overloads on Session of only 10-12 tracks max and no plug-ins.

Discovered this, it is anecdotal, but on "Playback Engine" I have tried dozens of combinations to no avail. What did work is this:

Below CPU Usage Limit is "Host Engine: Ignore Errors....... DISABLE THIS. UNCHECK IT. I also have not used the Delay Compensation Engine: it is "none".

No more CPU Overloads for the last 8 hours!! IMO, and this remains to be seen, I don't think it is setup in my case or anything else. Clearly either checking the box triggers a setup error with something, (my CPU usage and Activity monitor never showed anything either), or they have a bug. Anyway, no more problems. Try it and see. Good luck,

Chris
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Default 8 Core Mac Pro giving unexpected CPU overload errors

You do realise that NOT using delay comp in a mix situation is no go for most users.

Darryl Ramm
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM

Ed, Just to let you know, if I use Ozone 5 on IIRC3 and have only a few native plugs the cpu will 'average' around 30%-35% and occaisionally spike off the meter, and occaisionally make a pop or click or series of them and ruin the bounce. That's at 96k and I am using an HD3 setup, but your machine is newer and faster.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM

Sure. I understand that.....

However, constant CPU Overloads renders the software useless from a production standpoint.

All this misses the point. I have an activity IOS CPU monitor running, and Pro Tools own monitor running, and stripped of all peripherals and DSP barely get 2% CPU usage and still repeated CPU Overloads. So the point here is that not using delay comp is a no go for me as well, but the software ran uninterrupted for 8 hours based on disabling that only. It would appear in my case, that all these "Hardware/software Optimization issues" are irrelevant in my case. I did them all and did every 2,4,6,8 core and sample options........yet when I disabled delay comp and more testing, the software ran flawlessly with bluetooth enabled, WiFi enabled, spotlight enabled, screen saver enabled, other programs running in background, multiple DSP's running, 96kHz 24bit running, time machine running and no problems. The point? I don't think it is a hardware or Mac OS issue. I think it is a Pro Tools 10 software issue and I cannot get through a recording session or mixing session with money on the line with constant CPU Overloads ruining a take or bounce. I want full functionality and delay comp as well.

MacPro 4x2.26ghz Nehalem cores, 8gig memory, 1TB system drive, 2 1T data drives, OSX 10.8.2, PT10.3.2, 1-192 I/O
Old 01-21-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
Sure. I understand that.....

However, constant CPU Overloads renders the software useless from a production standpoint.

All this misses the point. I have an activity IOS CPU monitor running, and Pro Tools own monitor running, and stripped of all peripherals and DSP barely get 2% CPU usage and still repeated CPU Overloads. So the point here is that not using delay comp is a no go for me as well, but the software ran uninterrupted for 8 hours based on disabling that only. It would appear in my case, that all these "Hardware/software Optimization issues" are irrelevant in my case. I did them all and did every 2,4,6,8 core and sample options........yet when I disabled delay comp and more testing, the software ran flawlessly with bluetooth enabled, WiFi enabled, spotlight enabled, screen saver enabled, other programs running in background, multiple DSP's running, 96kHz 24bit running, time machine running and no problems. The point? I don't think it is a hardware or Mac OS issue. I think it is a Pro Tools 10 software issue and I cannot get through a recording session or mixing session with money on the line with constant CPU Overloads ruining a take or bounce. I want full functionality and delay comp as well.

MacPro 4x2.26ghz Nehalem cores, 8gig memory, 1TB system drive, 2 1T data drives, OSX 10.8.2, PT10.3.2, 1-192 I/O

Hi,

With Ozone you'll have to have the buffer at 512 @ 44.1/48k or 1024 @96k add other native plugs and the problem gets worse.

Try not to have native beasts on the same track as each track can only access one core.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
Hi Ed,

I have a very similar setup to yours. I have not had previous problems with Pro Tools 10.3.2, but recently have gotten tons of CPU Overloads on Session of only 10-12 tracks max and no plug-ins.

Discovered this, it is anecdotal, but on "Playback Engine" I have tried dozens of combinations to no avail. What did work is this:

Below CPU Usage Limit is "Host Engine: Ignore Errors....... DISABLE THIS. UNCHECK IT. I also have not used the Delay Compensation Engine: it is "none".

No more CPU Overloads for the last 8 hours!! IMO, and this remains to be seen, I don't think it is setup in my case or anything else. Clearly either checking the box triggers a setup error with something, (my CPU usage and Activity monitor never showed anything either), or they have a bug. Anyway, no more problems. Try it and see. Good luck,

Chris
Hi Chris

Thanks very much for this I will give it a try

Ed